2002 Corolla, burning oil... LOTS of oil

Have the compression checked and report back.

Checking the PCV valve is easy - so why not? You can probably find its location via Autozone’s website - go there, register, plug in your car info, go to the repair manuals section and look for component location diagrams. All you need to do is pull it out, look at it, shake it to make sure it rattles, and normally if it needs a new one they are all of $5 or less.

Do you know anyone who is at all handy with tools or cars?

Not sure if 2002 has timing belt but they need to be changed at 90,000mi
Also you may want to save up for a cat convertor, all that oil going threw it cannot be good.
Once you get any bugs out of it it should last 200,000 mi if taking care of

I went ahead and had the engine replaced, and that (of course) fixed the problem. It cost me $2500 though. Also, the burning oil did in fact clog up the catalytic converter, so I’m going to have the replaced - going to try to do it myself.

The oil might have done in the oxygen sensors. What is the evidence that the catalytic converter is clogged? Is there a check engine light on? If so, what is the code?

The check engine light is on, code 0420, and the engine doesn’t sound quite right even though it idles smoothly. Plus I failed my emissions test.

Autozone advertises bolt-in replacement cat converters for this car for $130, so I figure I’ll just replace it and the rear oxygen sensor while I’m under there.

Change the PCV valve for the chump change that it costs (U-do it). I’d also consider using Auto-Rx on any engine where consumption is involved. The engine may be salvageable. The $30 for the treatment is small compared to anything else you do and may clean up coked rings due to an overheat. Google it. It did wonders on a couple of beaters I had.

Hi, it has been awhile since I was able to reply and give an update on my 2001 Corolla that is still burning oil. So I went ahead and got a compression test… All of them came out to about 200. Then we added oil and checked it and it jumped to about 250-270 range. I asked around some mechanics and they said that the increase was not too signifcant and therefore the engine is still good. I’m not sure if this true or not. So at this point one mechanic is suggesting I do the stem ceals or something. I have replaced the PCV Valve already recently and it is still burning oil. Can anybody give me some more information as to what to do at this point. Thanks.