2001 Suburban Not Charging

Up until recently, I owned a 2004 Trailblazer. It had a similar set up that Rod Knox described. However, at no time would it shut down the A/C or blower, the I6 had plenty of power for WOT and to support the accessories. It would shut down the alternator under a couple of scenarios. One was that the truck is equipped with this afterthought of an A.I.R. pump that apparently drew boatloads of current under certain circumstances. This pump would run full bore under certain deceleration situations and you could watch your headlamps dim and then come back to full brightness as the pump speed came back down. I don’t think anyone ever circled back and told the guys who spec’d out the positive wire going to the main fuse panel. I measured a significant drop (no easy task when it repeatably happens exiting the expressway) across this undersized conductor. Doubling up the gauge fixed that issue.

Just my humble opinion, but I’ve never had a starting or an idle correction problem on my cars or family members cars due to increased electrical load.

If the car is designed correctly, you should never notice an issue regardless of how they implemented the alternator. You’re looking at the final product, not the issues they encountered when designing it.

Personally, I’d rather have the expensive parts inside the cab in a single box. If the smarts were put into the alternator to anticipate a load, then the part that is likely to need replacing (it’s a tough life under the hood), will cost a bunch more money. Keep the expected replacement parts as simple as possible and they should be less expensive to replace when the time comes.

@RemcoW-

First, let me apologize for my prior response. After taking the time to post I felt you weren’t addressing the reason explained in the article because you followed up with the assertion it’s just an obfuscation to limit who can fix it and there’s nothing wrong with the old way of doing it.

We can argue about this forever but it just seems to be an overcomplication of part of a system that works fine on most other cars. They don’t do it this way, after all

This would seem to support the notion it’s being done to address a problem. Otherwise, why wouldn’t they do it across the board? Why choose to implement such a scheme on only certain cars/trucks if it has such a great benefit in terms of coerced service revenue?

@twinturbo
No need to apologize for anything. We just disagree on something, that’s all. If I had to do that, I’d be apologizing 24/7.

Understand I don’t want to belabor this but here’s what I think:
(sorry, this is a bit wordy but don’t know any other way to convey this. Just move along if you don’t like reading)

I know how engineer think because I’m one of them. Engineers sometimes use a particular technology for technology’s sake. We don’t just like doing that - we love doing that. That’s what we talk about meeting over lunch: what sort of new stuff we were able to fudge into a design. It puts a bounce in our steps.
But sometimes it is better to step back and wonder whether you’re actually improving things or whether you are busy redesigning the wheel.
That has actually been part of my job for quite a while now: keep an eye on designs to make sure things don’t jump the shark.

Even in its simplest form, an alternator is a control system. A control system basically measures, decides where it needs to be and corrects accordingly.
In the simplest form, an alternator adjusts for the rise and fall in current required. It has worked well because everything is localized to one piece under the hood.If you apply a new load to it, it may sag a little very briefly but quickly adjusts to 14.5 V.
If you don’t see your 14.5 volt when it is running, you check the belt, check you connections and, if those are good, throw the thing out and get a new one. Takes 10 minutes.
Simple.

This new alternator is driven by a computer that knows when it needs more or less current and adjusts accordingly.
I can possibly see the one advantage of saving gas. Not sure how much gas actually saves but that may possibly be the one advantage over the classic alternator.

I can also see various problems where you have and alternator controlled by a computer:
There are inherent problems involved sending mixed signals between an alternator and controller. The alternator generates a fair bit of high frequency ‘noise’ (called back EMF) that you, as a designer, would need to mitigate because digital circuits don’t deal with that very well. They can do that but it add complexity because you have to filter, maybe be careful what these wires run parallel to, possibly shield them, etc. Those long wires make for very nice antennas.
Along with that, you have several embedded processors running, doing different things, all at various speed, etc. We all agree this stuff is complex. After all, we all have OBD2 readers and we agree that it takes some investigating to get down to what’s really wrong. We never ever blindly believe the code it throws without some probing around, right?
Well, that’s problem 1. It is complex.

None of these computers are in their own sandbox as they talk to each other. In this case, if you turn your stereo on, the system should know to crank the alternator up just a little more, possibly keeping track of how much the radio is drawing, etc.
The more components you use to do something, statistically the higher the chances get in terms of failure. Designers call this MTBF. Since you have more components, you will need to use better components and better procedures to get the same long term reliability of old school alternators.
Sure, this can be all be made to work but it translates into complexity.
And what have we accomplished: to have a subsystem anticipate someone turning something on or off?
An old ELD did the same thing and was just a simple analog circuit, very few components, simple to troubleshoot and has a very high mean time between failures. A regulator inside the alternator is also pretty reliable and does good job. Most of the time, alternators fail because diodes blow out.
No doubt those very same diodes will still blow out on the new alternators. What problem did we solve?
Problem 2. Statistically these new alternators can’t be as reliable as the old method.

Another problem is that you’re using another normally unrelated part of the system to make this thing work right, that Power Train Controller.
That’s all fine and dandy but what if that PTC or Alternator breaks? All of the sudden you don’t know whether your alternator died or whether your PTC bought the farm. Could it be because the system has falsely detected that you’re not drawing a lot of current and it has throttled the alternator back?

Point in case: the OP clearly had an issue determining whether the alternator was at fault. That’s why he was here, asking questions. In fact, we mentioned that there was a chance it was the expensive PTC. It wasn’t as clearcut as just using a regular alternator, where you measure the voltage, see it isn’t 14.5 volt while running and just replace it. That takes five minutes.
Instead, you’re almost forced to try to swap it out for a known good alternator or go to the dealer and have them check it out for you.
I don’t think that makes our life easier, does it?
Problem 3: Did it really solve any real issue?

That’s why I think they over thought this problem.
A designer has to remember that the system is only as good as its weakest part. If it is interdependent, if one part fail, the entire system likely fails if the components are dependent on each other.
This is why humans have 32 teeth in our mouth and not just two very large ones - one on the top and one on the bottom. If one breaks, you have 31 left and you can still eat.

It is good to contain damage locally. That’s a design engineering tenet.
That’s why having an alternator with a simple regulator and ELD is a good idea.
That’s also why having a fuse that is tied in line with lights is a good idea and a micro controller detecting a short that shuts the line off is a really bad one.
The wheel: another great idea .
I believe to just leave well enough alone already. if it works well, you don’t mess with it.

How did we get here?
Engineers love to throw new stuff into designs because it makes life interesting. That’s how design engineers think. Believe it.
Most of the time that’s very good because you stumble into questions that have never been asked and figure out some new way of doing things.

Sometimes it is just putting the buggy in front of the horse. Nothing more.
Sure, it is a new approach but is it truly better to have a horse push a buggy?
The horse will likely disagree but they don’t talk much.

Dude, I have been an engineer for 37 years. I started out as an electrical engineer designing industrial controls. I have lived through the discrete parts to integrated microcontroller age and into the modern digital age. I worked for many years designing embedded software for real-time, multitasking mission and safety critical applications using anything from FPGAs to DSPs and large scale microprocessors. I am currently the director of R&D for a large company and fortunately, I still get to do design on occassion. The only reason I mention it is to let you know I know a thing or two about engineering and technology.

Nothing is done in a vacuum or for personal delight. We manage costs continually and balance designs to meet a variety of demands. If it’s done, it’s done for a reason. Now things don’t always get fleshed out completely due to time constraints but almost every aspect of a design is subject to numerous reviews from peers to the front end to validate the proposed approach.

The complexity of the design and implementation of this particular approach to power supply charging and regulation is apparently the best way to overcome the myriad of complex CTQs set forth. Imagine if you will the power train folks coming by saying, the only way to meet the cost/performance constraints is to put this particular power plant design into production. Now the electrical folks are up in arms about designing a complex control mechanism they did not have on their plates to begin with because the HP of the motor cannot account for the parastitic drag on the motor when the back EMF of the alternator presents this huge load. They have to build in an anticipator mechanism to boost the rpms enough time in advance fo the actual load. Where is this best accomplished? At the point where the control of the load is being done. Yes, it is more complex than a simple regulator attached to the alternator but it solves the fundamental problem and was likely to be the most cost effective way to accomplish it.

Well, you have about three years on me.
I’m not a director but choose the pure technical career ladder at senior principal level and do most my design in real time hardware/firmware/software. Usually it involves signal processing of sorts, pids - stuff like that. For the last couple of decades it was for the high reliability markets (mil, gov, medical, that sort of thing).
We agree we’ve both designed, built and seen a fair bit of stuff over our lifetime, both good and bad.

When a vendor walks in here and puts a bit of silicon in your hands, some tools and a datasheet, most engineers immediately start thinking of how to use it in their design, if it is halfway ‘cool’. We do the same when we read white papers on technology. You can’t help it - I can’t help it. It is what makes us what we are.
Sometimes new methods make sense, sometimes they do not. We no doubt both know plenty of instances where you wonder what guys were thinking, unless you’ve worked with totally different engineers than me.
Sometimes stuff slips by design reviews and find its way out in the wild. Marketing does its little dance, has us write a bunch of white papers but everyone knows it is an abortion.
Maybe not on your watch as director but no doubt you’ve seen that happen, right?

Granted, perhaps me calling the method ‘stupid’ was a bit harsh:
I’m sure the cost to produce of a smart alternator is cheaper. That’s probably why they implemented it the way they did.
I give you that it may even save a little money in gas in the sense that there’s less drag on the system.

In my opinion, it is never good to have to have something depend on other parts of the system, unless you build in redundancy and that gets expensive and even more complex once again.
Besides that, their the design they chose is fairly complex so it had better be solid and easily troubleshot, should it ever break. That makes sense - What’s the point of creating a system that breaks and can’t be fixed easily?
Cars have been running and are still running with regular alternators. One company chooses to do it differently. Great - that thing must be the greatest thing since sliced bread, no?
The very fact that someone here had an issue with that very alternator and did not know which way to go with it kinda proves they lost the mark on that last design parameter.

Let’s agree we both disagree and leave it at that. There’s not a whole lot of point in arguing over something we’ll never see eye to eye on.

Also my first post…I know the OP’s issue has already been resolved, but if anyone else has trouble and ends up needing to replace the PCM, try this place. http://stores.ebay.com/SpareECM I am not related to them, just bought things there. I got a used PCM for my 99 Suburban for $80 already programmed, and installed it myself in about 10 minutes. Compare that to the 3 day wait plus a total of almost $700 the local shop would have charged.

Alternators can become intermittent. They’ll work for a while, then they’ll stop. Loose connection inside the alternator, intermittent temp or vibrations sensitive diode, could be anything. Likely as luck would have it, it worked at the parts vendor, but only occasionally when installed.

Good diagnosis on your part.

I think I’ve told this story here before, but a co-worker of mine had an intermittent alternator. He knew it wasn’t working right, but was frugal. Ok, he was CHEAP! Anyway, he bought a rebuilt one, but instead of installing it, he put all the required tools in the car along with the new one, and drove around with the bad one for months. The old one worked often enough it was able to keep the battery charged. Eventually one day the old one failed completely. He was on the freeway. As I drove home that day, I saw him on the side of the freeway changing out the alternator. He even had a mechanic’s overalls w/him he slipped over his clothes so he didn’t get his office clothes dirty! He wanted to get every mile out of that alternator possible!

Actually, based on your last post, I think we agree more than you think.

What’s the point of creating a system that breaks and can’t be fixed easily?
I’ve said this many times on this BBS since I started coming here back in the early 90s IIRC:

Vehicles are designed to be built as inexpensively as possible. Servicing is secondary to that directive. The vehicle manufacurer is concerned mainly on two points; cost to manufacture and warranty expense.

Back in the 80s or so, it was all about technology and building cool things. Since then, the bean counters have taken over. Now everything is about cost benefits. Naturally, if technology comes along to make something possible that wasn’t previously, it is incorporated. But cost is king and nearly everything hinges on it.

Yes, everybody is human and makes mistakes. They still put an eraser on top of pencils for a reason (and the electronic back button) :wink: Things will always get through the cracks. What matters is how the situation is handled afterward. Some businesses will immediately own up to it and do whateever is necessary to correct it. Others may do a cost/benefit analysis and do something short of that or even nothing. A guy I work with has a good saying. “Everybody makes mistakes. What matters is when you come parachuting into the customers parking lot to make it right. That they remember.”

I’ve put my head on the chopping block many times in my career to stick to my guns about doing the right thing. We’ve won back many a customer that was lost by the prior regimes who failed to address their concerns and treat them as a partner. If it isn’t right, we don’t go to market. If it’s broken, we admit to our warts and fix it. People tend to appreciate honesty and will accept delays or other issues if they are part of the process and kept informed. That’s my method and I’m stickin’ to it…

Tried editing my response to add something and get some lengthy error msg so adding it here.

Looks like we have very similar backgrounds. Would be very interesting to hear about the various projects you’ve been involved with over your career. Although that would certainly us getting risk the dreaded off-topic flag :wink:

@TwinTurbo:
Yup, from the sound of it we certainly have very similar backgrounds.
We probably even know the same people. It is a very small world in this field. If you’re ever in my neck of the woods(CT), PM me. We’ll get a beer and burger somewhere.

I agree: Bean counters are the devil.
Couple them with the “two drink minimum” marketing department and you have a recipe for disaster, if unchecked.
We probably both explained the holy engineering trinity of “Fast/Good/Inexpensive” chart to those guys. I have that drawn on one of my white boards (see picture below), just so I can point to it when people ask stupid questions like “when am I getting it?” or “how much do you think it will cost?”.
You can pick two but won’t get the third: if you pick Fast and Good, it will not be inexpensive. If you pick Good and Inexpensive, it will not be fast. If you pick Fast and Inexpensive, it will not be good.
It applies to pretty much everything in life, but especially design engineering.

As an engineer, stuff has to be right so by the rules set forth of the above universal rule, things can’t be fast or inexpensive.
That applies to everything: cars to candy bars. (Well, maybe not candy candy bars but they can be cheaper and some can be better, if you ask me).
There has to be some balance, though. Many engineers are afraid of shipping things out because it isn’t ‘perfected yet’ and you’ll never make money.
That’s where we 100 percent agree: you have to have good service and treat your customers right. If it breaks and it is your fault, you should go over there, hat in hand, and see what can be done to make it right again.

It all comes down to realizing mistakes are made and then taking responsibility for your actions. A recent post here where a BMW had a serpentine belt replaced ‘because its service was due’, then subsequently hosing the job up and doing a $1000 worth of damage is a prime example.
That stuff just really irks me.