2000 Chevy Prizm Fuel Delivery Problem

The pump does not run at all when the key turns. It used to…back before the original pump failed. Now it only turns on and runs for a second after unsuccessfully starting the engine. It worked like this for a year, with pump #3 starting the car after being allowed to prime after a failed start. Now that doesn’t even work. Relays are working and I’m getting power at the pump. Not sure about injectors.

Just because the fuel pump from the junk yard worked once…doesn’t mean it’s good now.

I had one years ago that it took three fuel pumps in a year and even though I had a warranty on the pump, I still had all the labor to absorb. I finally purchased a better brand of pump and that one lasted long after I sold the truck.
It’s one item that I never skimp on price…because of the work involved in replacing one uinder warranty.

Yosemite

There have been no junk yard fuel pumps. Everything has been new, albeit not OEM. The one coming in tomorrow, along with the replacement fuel filter, is OEM from Tennessee. The junkyard part is the ECM that I bought and delivered to the shop to avoid the cost of a new one. For $50, i think it will aid in troubleshooting, if for no other reason than to rule out the computer itself. They are going to do that work, along with the system pressure measurements, today.

FP#0 OEM - Ran for 15 years
FP#1 Autozone self installed - did not run
FP#2 Non-OEM shop installed - ran for a day and died
FP#3 Non-OEM shop installed - ran for nearly a year but only worked after first cranking the engine to get it to prime each time. Car rarely if ever started on first try after sitting for any length of time. I believe this is a significant point.
FP#4 Non-OEM shop installed last week Tuesday - ran for a day and died.
FP#5 Non-OEM shop installed last Wednesday, along with pressure regulator, ran for a day and died.
FP#6 OEM replacement to be replaced tomorrow, along with OEM fuel filter

ECU swapped. Car has started on the first try for two days. Thanks for all of the help everyone.

Congratulations!

That was money well spent

Tester was right! As usual.

Not to detract from Tester . . . but I’d say a very significant portion of control modules are replaced in error

That wasn’t the case here, but it very often is

@db4690 Very true.