2000 Cadillac Eldorado - Odd sound after starting that then settles down

I always do.

1 Like

Is a stethoscope a common household item?

2 Likes

Thanks for not another post on the merits/demerits of garden hose. :wink:

Is there a Doctor in the house? :rofl: (said in a Groucho Marx voice)

I think it’s obvious that George has set up a business to sell old, dried-out garden hose, possibly to accompany his old dried-out cars.
:wink:

3 Likes

I indeed wish my cars were dried out. It’s been raining here all day :wink:

How about we all group together & impose a ban on the use of “garden hose” or “stethoscope” any more in this thread?

Several years ago, I decided that–with this type of pricing–it should be a household item for me… and it is.

Okay!
How about if we all band together and remind the OP that remote, cyber-driven diagnoses are not necessarily accurate, and that he/she really needs to take his ailing Caddy to a mechanic for hands-on diagnosis?

1 Like

Fully concur. The best way to get your car fixed is to take it to a good shop. Be sure to bring your wallet. But if everybody did that, what’s the purpose of this website? Thanks for not mentioning the G or S words … lol …

This is just one man’s opinion, but I would prefer to get a hands-on diagnosis from a qualified mechanic, rather than a remote opinion from folks who might not have the same skills as a real mechanic.

Similarly, I prefer for my medical issues to be diagnosed–in person–by an actual M.D., rather than online by a person with unknown credentials. In essence, a no-cost diagnosis might not be cheaper in the long run, and it might not really be “cheaper” in terms of the longevity of both people and motor vehicles…

:thinking:

1 Like

The only way Internet forum diagnostics really works (in my opinion), is if someone has been through the exact same issue with a really similar model and the post is really specific, or…if an expert mechanic chimes in with the solution to a common defect for a particular model. Otherwise, we are mostly just guessing by throwing out common issues. Which is ok, too.

This particular thread, we don’t have a ton of info. What the original post describes could be anything from an exhaust leak, to a rod about to escape the block, to…the fan shroud is loose and the fan is hitting it. So guessing is kind of futile other than for the sake of discussion.

On the other hand, if you asked me what the clunking sound and feel is in the steering column on this vehicle, I can tell you exactly what that is and a number of ways to correct it from temporary to hopefully permanent and from free to pretty pricey, because I’ve been through the exact same thing on a similar model. I learned how to correct that issue on an Internet forum.

So it’s hit or miss unless it’s a really common issue or you get lucky. Specifics help a lot though.

2 Likes

For me, yes, but I also consider a Sun distributor machine a common tool :slightly_smiling_face:

Yes actually (at least in my house, both the medical and mechanical variety)
:man_shrugging:t2:

2 Likes

The consensus is that stethoscopes are common, from now on we should advise people to use their stethoscope to pin point the noise.

1 Like

:wink: … lol …

OH NO! what do I do with my hose now? LOL

2 Likes

Now I will have absolutely no use for the 2ft. long Snap On screwdriver.

3 Likes

Ask a Sweat Hog.

1 Like

1 Like

Btw, the that saying was first written as “up your a$$ with a piece of glass”, the censors wouldn’t permit it, so it was changed to the version we all remember.

1 Like