200,000 miles on the odometer, and still on the original clutch!

Sorry to spoil the party, but it’s probably about to wear out. Get it checked. Clutches are valuable and vital parts.

I have 233,200 miles on my 02 Saturn, still has the original clutch and we do have a few hills here in Rocky Top. I don’t match engine speed to ground speed and I let the clutch slip on every shift so that it shifts smoothly. But it is still a wear item. I know mine will eventually wear out, but for now, it’s still good.

I do some city driving too, but I do try to adjust my speed to catch lights green, especially the lights that would require an uphill launch. Not only does it save the clutch, I get 38 mpg and I got 140k on the first set of brakes.

According to this graphic, 22% of those surveyed say they are using their brakes to stop in an effort to make their cars last longer.

Disclaimer: This graphic comes from theonion.com, which is a satirical fake news site.

Do you mean you want to make this discussion “moot?” To make this discussion mute, we would all have to be really quiet, and stop making sound when we speak.

Actually, I have checked it out recently. I did the classic “clutch slipping” test by setting the parking brake, putting it in a high gear, and slowly releasing the clutch. The engine died pretty early in the process, indicating there is no slippage. My clutch appears to be in pretty good shape, with a lot of miles to go before it needs to be replaced. My clutch still engages pretty close to the floor.

What gives you the idea my clutch is probably about to wear out? Sorry to spoil the party, but that kind of armchair diagnosis hurts your credibility.

In 1989 I bought an '85 Nissan 720 standard cab truck with 126,000 miles. I still own it. At 180,000 the factory first clutch was replaced. Why did it last so long? The previous owner racked up 126k in 4 years - obviously he was driving all freeway. Clutches don’t die very fast if they are continually engaged.

I have a 2001 EX sedan…original manual clutch…