2 Less,or does 6 in a row go?(If you bend a six,will a V8 respect it?

While the 300 inch Ford will run forever, it was a TRUCK engine and it felt like a truck engine when you drove it.

Anybody remember the V-12 powered early Chevelle-I remember how smooth the V-1710’s sounded in the pulling tractors,ever heard of a double Allison.The Allison proparely modded could hold its own against the Merlin-Kevin

You can make a pretty good hotrod engine out of one,too. Anyone hear of a Mopar Hyper six?

Great looking yellow Moto Guzzi! Don’t see many of them, anymore.

Old geezers like me remember the Hudson six that was first installed in the 1948 models. The engine originally displaced 262 cubic inches. In 1951, the engine diplacement was increased to 308 cubic inches and the Hudson model equipped with this engine was called the Hornet. The Hudson Hornet with this engine won a lot of stock car races. These wins could be partially attributed to the superior handling of the Hudson over other cars, but the engine did contribute to the Hudson’s success on the track.

The 3.0L straight six out of the last BMW 3-series has to be up there.
GM’s new 3.6L direct-injection V6 is pretty good too, until you realize that everyone else already has a V6 of similar displacement that makes better power, gets better fuel economy and will probably last longer. (Except for Chrysler)

I used to own a Guzzi and they are just as Italian as Fiats and Alfa-Romeos, and I mean Italian in a bad way.

The Mopar slant six gets my vote. The one in my old '79 pickup is unbelievable, starts and runs great, easy to work on, good power, good gas mileage, cheap parts. Rocketman

I had a 198 cid slant 6 in a '72 Duster, drove it across country several times, a couple of times pulling a (small) U-Haul trailer. It never complained, once I put a bigger radiator and fan in. I never would have tried that with the 170 cid 6 I had in my '65 Mustang. Only thing I had to fix on the Duster was swapping out the starter in the parts store parking lot. I sold it to a friend at 120k miles, he used it until a car totalled it while parked.

The Ford 300, MoPar Slant 6 and GM 3.8(oil pump on crank shaft) seem to be world class power plants. Reliability, servieability, longevity and overall economy put these at the top of my list. All three have proven to last 300,000+ miles with normal maintenance. It seems that many have similar experiences with these engines.

What a nice Honda too,bet you could balance a dime on that sucker!-Kevin

C’mon a little feedback on the Allison V-12 engine please guys-they seemed to do fine in the P-40’s-Kevin

The Allison got a bad reputation when it was used in the P51A, but that was because (you asked) it had a single stage supercharger, unlike the Merlin’s dual stage (think Spitfire). For the P38 they added a turbo, fixing that problem. Outstanding engine (two in the PT boats - those would be fun!). But none in the DC-6, sorry TSMB!

I sure would like to know why some of you guys think a V6 is unbalanced. Some of the new V6s are the smoothest engines built.

If we’re talking straight sixes, how 'bout the Cummins N 14 and Caterpillar C 15 :wink:

I must be stupid, what does (If you bend a six,will a V8 respect it?) mean?

I read a while back that part og mg problem other than the front office was that they were building everything in house and the quality was poor. An American comp. bought them and even thought current mg was garbage they thought it was the end of the world that the yanks bought them. With that said, certain parts are being subletted out and quality is on the rise.

I have not but did you know Lancia made a straight v-4? Four cylinder, straight but 2 cylinders were offset. NEWS YOU CAN’T USE!

Good call,I was looking at that and thought the same thing.