1991 Toyota Pickup - Overheats

I have no loss of coolant, leaks, or smell… I didn’t consider a head gasket leak because I only had this issue at slow/stop speed with the AC on.

Turning the AC off stops the issue and turning the heat on cools it off right away. This doesn’t make me think head gasket, but made me focus more on the cooling issue. The radiator is seriously pristine…

1 Like

Pristine looking or not, the radiator is about to only option left, assuming the head gasket is good. I saw what looked like higher capacity radiators at Rockauto.

If there is room you could put in a radiator wit two or 3 rows of tubes.

Which I found with a short google search.

I think my options are larger radiator or cooling fan… fan being the much cheaper way to go, but I honestly don’t know which is more efficient.
My friend who owns a shop nearby is a restoration shop and he will help me with stuff if I can’t lift it, but it really comes down to someone who has dealt with a similar issue - Rod_Knox says that he had installed a number of extra cooling fans in commercial vehicles, which are similar to my setup - I guess I need to ask why that over a high flow radiator?

It will probably be a pain to swap a radiator and not a ton of room is available, but I have seen forums where it was done by people in the desert with the same vehicle.

I will look into it, but I think it’s a cooling issue… I don’t see the signs of.head gasket issue - that would be the easiest fix :roll_eyes: I have no leaks, no bubbles, no smoke, she purrs like a kitten…
It is only in hot weather while stopped/slow with the AC on… how did those fans do for cooling? Would you have gone larger radiator looking back or did that do the trick?

Here is a video of a young man shimming up his hood to reduce the under hood temperature

I have done that on shuttle buses and security vehicles that were always left idling, often resulting in overheating and found it worthwhile.

1 Like