1975 BMW 2002 headache

Before you dot another “i”, do a compression test wet/dry amd a compression leakdown test. That’ll give you a good idea whether you’re dealing with a headgasket breech or erosion path between the cylinders and the oil paths in the headgasket as well as a good idea of the condition of the cylinders.

I’m guessing that the oil is being drawn either from the head repair area or from a breceh in the headgasket, possibly caused by warping by the weld area…

The same Mountain bike, I had the head rebuilt by a good machine shop. he’s done several heads for me for other cars, and is experienced with 2002 heads as well. He’s been doing this for forty years or more. all the repairs he did on the 2002 head look great, I trust him. I did a compression test last weekend and all the cylinders read about 78 PSI. I tried pouring a little oil in each cylinder then retesting and the oil brought them up near 100 PSI.

I tried using detergent oil additive to free up stuck rings about a month ago with no effect. It’s looking like it needs to be torn down and rebuild the bottom end. I love this car but I’m getting a lot of heat from my wife let it go. I think I’m already feeling separation anxiety.

Quoting @nocalray “I think I’m already feeling separation anxiety.”

From which one, the wife or the 2002?

Well, the compression numbers flat suck and the wet test increase points to the rings being absolutely wiped.

I, too, wish I lived in NoCal. A rust-free 2002 with lots of work already done, a short block needed, is just about my perfect idea of a project car…

There’s a railroad crossing not too far from me with a number of tracks and a lot of train traffic and rail repair materials sitting around.
Someone about 2 or 3 years ago parked a trailer there with 4 of those things on it. Hoods ajar, paint faded, and Lord only knows what’s wrong with them. It just alway struck me as unusual that someone would park something on railroad property that looks so out of place.

One derailment may take them all out… :wink:

ok4450 I’m thinking about finding a short block to rebuilt and then swap out. Lately my time has been limited and I already have an 81 fiat spider that I use as daily driver and a 75 spitfire set up to stage one race spec that I’m trying to get going. I need to narrow my range of projects if I’m ever going to finish one.
4 of them parked by the rail road tracks sounds like a potential resource, and a waste of good German metal.