1972 Ford Pinto

Like I said the best way is to talk to guys at a local classic car show to see who they use. Some do their own work but some don’t and just like the cars. Those cars will have carbs and be non-electronic.

Down here in FL we have one elderly mechanic who has a few antique cars of his own and knows how to rebuild carbs etc. He has trained his youngest son on how to work on these older vehicles with points etc as when he retires will turn the business over to him.

When older cars are brought in, its his son who works on them and no one else…Too bad these elderly mechanics that know this stuff, do not train some of their techs when someone brings in an older car.

They still can make money charging the usual shop hour rate plus a parts mark-up. I am good friends with him and they recently worked on a 1936 Buick straight eight. It ended up being a carb problem and could not find a rebuild kit anywhere. He had a machine shop build an adapter plate and used a newer small 2 BBL carb on it…car now purrs. I would not want to see the final bill but he fixed it.

I have a Craftsman dwell meter that also doubles as a tach, and a timing light. I use them on my Cutlasses. I’m getting ready to dump the points for Pertronix units though, so after that, the meter will only be used to adjust the idle.

I remember walking into the Ford garage where I worked in 1976 to see three Pintos and six Lincolns ready to be worked on right after lunch. That must tell you how good those cars were, especially considering how scarce Lincolns have always been compared to other makes. The other four stalls were filled with a mixture of other Fords. I became the Pinto timing belt installer of choice, not that that’s what they all needed. I could knock one out in about 30 minutes. The boss seemed happy. The Lincolns usually had electrical gremlins to figure out. Yes, my hair is grey. Shoot, it’s almost white.