1970 Volkswagen Beetle - Asbestos pads

Sorry, I missed that - not unusual for me. It really is a crazy issue - I have read page after page of arguments that it does not exist anymore by some pretty smart people. However, I have yet to see any real proof of this and some things I have seen point the other way.

Regards,
Mike

image003.jpg

Donā€™t know if it would help at all, but TheSamba.com lists outfits that sell vintage VW parts. Perhaps some of those links might lead to what youā€™re after and have information on the materials used. Most of those place listed are in California (no surprise), so I would suspect they would be alert to things like asbestos.

Judging from the last comment from CSA, I would suggest they change their handle.

Because it no longer applies.

Tester

3 Likes

CSA, what makes you think the car belongs to the EPA? It would be a stretch for that to be true. Itā€™s a personal vehicle.

1 Like

The shoes that jc Whitney has on thier site have a list of hazerdou materials that they may contain. Didnā€™t see asbestos mentioned but pleanty of others that my dad would know about. He worked in the hazardous waste program.for the Dept of ecology, Washingtonā€™s version of the EPA.

So you seem to think a Forum of unknown people with unknown credentials can give you better information than the Brake pad and shoe manufactures . If this is how the EPA does research we really are in trouble .

3 Likes

Environmental Predation Agency?

2 Likes

Actually the REAL EPA would hire an independent lab to test the material instead of relying on what the manufacturer says.

You would be surprised. I have gotten some very good information from this forum that has provided leads for further research. For example, web sites that lead to comments from the US Geological Survey about the use of asbestos in imported brakes. Online information from a marketing research firm indicating that asbestos is still out there in imported brake pads. I doubt I would get good information from brakes shoe manufacturers in third world companies supplying the US aftermarket.

Do you really think that economics does not drive a relatively unregulated aftermarket for brake pads and shoes?

A lack of hard evidence for the existence of asbestos is not evidence for it not being there.

Casting the net widely for information is important. These comments from " a Forum of unknown people with unknown credentials " has indeed rendered more valuable information than folks with a financial interest.

This is all input for our deliberations. This question is not settled by any means but there is enough doubt in it that considerably more need works to be done to answer it.

image.jpeg

1 Like

Before you guys keep going down the road of ā€œthis guyā€™s a troll, heā€™s not real,ā€ you might want to click this:

https://www.researchgate.net/profile/Michael_Jayjock

And asking questions on a forum is a perfectly legitimate way to get leads for investigation. He never said he was going to take anything we said and publish it directly as solid research.

1 Like

Hey shadowfax,

Always nice to be recognized as not a troll. Some folks are pretty nice here, some not so much.

Best Regards,
Mike

image003.jpg

2 Likes

I canā€™t comment on the asbestos content but gee, it is fairly simple to simply test them. We even tested floor tile from the 60ā€™s before removal to determine what was required.

At any rate, I would find an alternate vendor I guess. One of the last times I dealt with JC was back in 60ā€™s and I ordered brake shoes for my Morris Minor. Yeah I got the shoes all right. Just the liners that were supposed to be then riveted to the metal shoe. Like even back then, who rivets the liners on brake shoes? I kept them but never used them. I did send the used tire back that had a second casing glued to the side of the tire. Maybe they have changed to still be in business but there are a lot of other options.

Ordering from JC back then was kind of a fore-runner to on-line ordering now, so Iā€™ve been doing this for a long time. One reason I like dealing with local, brick and mortar parts suppliers.

The last time that I dealt with them was in the late '70s, and I honestly didnā€™t realize that they still exist.

I recall that I knew someone who dealt with Warshawsky around the same time, and their catalog was identical to that of JC Whitney, thus leading me to the conclusion that it was the same company doing business under two different names.

At least the Powerstop shoes are asbestos free, the Centric are listed as ā€œcompletely asbestos freeā€

AUTOSPECIALTY BRAKE SHOE SETS BY POWERSTOP

• Offers more reliable stopping performance and safety
  • Asbestos- and copper-free design

Asbestos is a great friction material. Thats why it is still available in some brakes and clutches in some products.

They are made overseas because of the difficulty in making the parts safely and because the US legal liability makes it far too risky to use. So yes, economics come into play but maybe not the way you thought.

The replacement friction material called ceramic or NAO (non asbestos organic) uses potassium titanate fiber in a very similar fashion as asbestos. The difference is that it has not been declared a carcinigenā€¦yet. another is its tendency not to fracture into smaller, less harmful fibers when used in brakes and clutches like asbestos does.

1 Like

Thanks for the informationā€¦ Much appreciated.

image003.jpg

1 Like

Thank you for this information. Looks like it is being used as a selling point. Do you know if they are more expensive than some other shoes being sold to the aftermarket in the US?

image003.jpg

From rock auto theyā€™re the cheapest options, thereā€™s Raybestos organic for more $