1963 Studebaker Hawk

Rather odd way of asking for advice for a 1963 Studebaker Hawk wanting advice for a 1970 Studebaker Avanti especially for a fuel delivery problem (vapor lock)! Different cars with different powertrains (Studebaker verses Chevrolet). There was never an abundance of Hawks or Avantis in my area but they were not rare. My elderly next door neighbor who passed away about 2 years ago had a 1965 Avanti II which was built in Toronto, Canada after Studebaker folded. It was a special order. Most came with a Chevrolet 327 cu in/300hp. capable of 0-60mph in 6.5 seconds. This one had a 1965 Corvette 327/350hp, Borg Warner Super T-10 4 speed M/T with Factory Hurst shifter, and 12 bolt 3.73 Posi-Trac rear differential. It would have been a heck of a surprise when the light turned green. There is a nice 1964 Hawk GT one street over that I see frequently.

What does a Studebaker 289 have to do with a 302 Ford?

@oldtimer-11 … They’re both similar size internal combustion engines designed for use in vehicles. I’m just offering up a suggestion of what can cause vapor lock, not implying my suggestion is definitely the cause for OP’s particular problem though.

Speaking of Studes, like I said before, if you get around the South Bend area, the Studebaker Museum is not something to miss. You can hit Notre Dame the same day.

When I was a kid, the teenager down the block had about a 39 something or other. He’d make it about two blocks and the thing would stall. He carried a bottle of water and poured water on the fuel line and off he went again.

Oh, I wish I had known about the museum when I visited Notre Dame a few years ago. Oh well, next time. What I recall about Studebakers, my family had one when I was just a little kid, and I knew when someone was leaving in the uphill direction b/c of all the backfiring … lol …

To be honest, I never really liked their styling but they were solid cars. My Godfather had must have been a 54 or so sedan and also a pick up of that era. A teacher in Jr High was a Stude fan and had must have been a Hawk or something like it around 61 or 62. We kind of laughed at it then but we always talk Studebakers now when I see him and he is still a fan. You just had to sell more cars than they did to make it. We also had a Lark as a commuter car for my dad. I think it was a 62 or something but it was solid but spartan and reminded me of a condensed Checker.

I learned to drive on a 41 Studebaker Landcruiser Commander and owned a 56 Commander and a 59 Lark wagon. The only reason I stopped buying them was because they stopped making them.

The 41 had impressive features for its time. Hill holder, which only Subaru has now, vacuum assisted shift lever overdrive and the leaf springs operated in a grease filled steel case. The contrasting color spear down the side gave it unforgettable style that could not be confused with anything else on the road.

A little-known fact is that, after Studebaker closed their huge South Bend complex and consolidated all of their operations in Hamilton, Ontario, they were actually turning a profit. It was miniscule, but it was a profit nonetheless. However, they desperately needed financing in order to produce a totally restyled sedan, rather than just minor facelifts, in order to attract new customers.

And, they already had their prototype (built in Italy) as the basis for the new car line. While it might not appear that attractive today, in 1966 I believe that the Studebaker Sceptre would have sold like the proverbial hotcakes.

http://cardesignnews.azureedge.net/media/14250967/ss01.jpg?width=711&mode=crop&ud=20170724153834

Unfortunately, they were unable to secure that financing, and the bankers who controlled the company at that point decided to shut-down the automotive division and derive profits from their other divisions, such as Worthington Pump, STP, Gravely tractors, Clark Floor Equipment, a refrigeration company, and a small airline. Then, one by one, those divisions were sold-off over the next few years until nothing of the original corporation was left.
:frowning_face:

Skip to 8:53 if you’re not into Zappa:

Mine, a '49 Champion, about 1967

That’s a pretty good looking car @Purebred . I wouldn’t have recognized it as a Studebaker just from the photo. The one my parents had was probably vintage 1946-1949. Sort of looked like an oversize VW Beetle, colored black, 4 doors iirc.

It’s funny what a person remembers and what they don’t. I can remember all the cars my family had quite vividly even from the age 5-6, but where we lived at the time, no idea … another weird thing I remember, I was fixing my kitchen faucet the other evening, and I somehow recalled the allen key size to remove the handle was 7/64 … when I hadn’t removed that handle in 3 years or more. “7/64” is what I remember? What a waste of brain cells.

As long as we are comparing photos…

from the Peabody Essex Museum in Salem MA, 1964 Studebaker Avante

And here’s a '63 Hawk GT:

When I first saw one of these was 1967, I thought is was ugly as sin, now it is number 1 on my car wish list. The Packard Hawk

Some great looking cars.
Where did auto designers go wrong/

compare those cars with present designs like this:

Studebaker Hawk vs Toyota Catfish.

2 Likes

I was a big Studebaker fan and a big Packard fan, but I thought what Studebaker marketed as Packards in 1957 were abominations and the Packard Hawk was the wort of the lot. Still do.

Unfortunately aerodynamics starting with the first Taurus jellybean combined with the government bumper requirement.
Something I liked (like) about Hyundai, they lead the concept econoboxes do not have to be ugly.
Whereas most early modern era electrics & hybrids styling seemed to require the ‘yuck’ factor to make them standout from their gas stablemates.