09 Accord v 2012 Sonata Second Car decision

Scion TC’s are good cars, a few co-workers have had them. Same platform as the Rav4, Corolla, and Prius to name a few with the engine used the Rav4 and Camry. 2007-2008 were the years for excessive oil consumption for the TC.

WHICH TOYOTA VEHICLES HAVE AN OIL DEFECT?

The following Toyota vehicles may suffer from the oil consumption defect:

• 2007-2009 Toyota Camry
  • 2007-2011 Toyota Camry Hybrid
  • 2007-2008 Toyota Solara
  • 2009 Toyota Corolla
  • 2009 Toyota Matrix
  • 2006-2008 Toyota RAV4
  • 2007-2008 Scion Tc
  • 2008-2009 Scion Xb
1 Like

According to me, you should go with the Honda Accord. It is the best-selling vehicle and competes with the Toyota Camry. Also, it is one owner vehicle.

1 Like

It’s really a no brainer. The 2009 Accord, with the 2.4L 4-cylinder engine should be a reliable car, and have reasonable maintenance costs as well. I would avoid any Kia/Hyundai cars with the “GDI” engines, especially the earlier models.

Edit to add: On this generation of Accord, I would only consider 4-cylinder models. The 3.5L V-6 is an interference engine with a rubber timing belt, which also drives the water pump. This adds a significant maintenance expense, and a significant risk of ruining the engine if the timing belt isn’t changed on time, if it’s done incorrectly, or if the additional components were not changed or the mechanic used cheap parts.

When buying a used car with a timing belt, sellers often do not know if/when the belt was changed, or may even lie and say it was done. Without proof, you must do this again/pay to have it done when you buy the car.

Seller was asking 1500. There were 2 buyers at first showing. Guy offered 1000. I said 1200. Guy offered 1300. I asked if he was going to keep this up and he said yes. So, I bailed. Don’t like bidding wars
But, I think car was worth more then 1300

1 Like

You forgot the infamous 1zzfe( 1998-2002) TC that was plagued with oil consumption issues. Faulty piston rings was the problem.

1 Like

That one appears to have fallen off my radar, I know an owner of a 2007 Camry that was purchased used from a Nissan dealer that received the redesigned pistons and rings and at last report had over 300,000 miles and I believe she/s handed that car over to a family member and bought a brand new Camry.

1 Like

Is he a gentle driver? Gentle driver cars last a long time. Pedal to the metal driver? Those drivers will trash any car. When I was in high school I worked summers and weekends in a garage doing mostly clutch and transmission repairs and most of the ones I worked on were new high school graduation gift cars with abuse voided warranties.

2 Likes