08 Grand Prix needs new engine

Thanks, guys a lot, I also heard the 3800 was an extremely good engine so I’m going to have another mechanic make sure what’s the exact problem. I’ll post a update once I find out

1 Like

I just don’t like the idea of the mechanic offering $300 for the car . . .

The cynic in me is thinking maybe the mechanic knows it’ll be a relatively cheap . . . for him, because he’s not paying labor and gets parts cheap . . . fix to get the car running and then he’s either got another car to drive or one to flip for some fast cash

1 Like

In the past I’ve bought a few customer cars which had major problems. The customers had no intention of spending money on a new engine or transmission so they said they would just call the boneyard and scrap it instead. In those cases I would have the service advisor tell them to get a price from the salvage and I would offer 50 more.

In my cases the failure of an engine (bad rod knock and near zero oil pressure) or a transmission (black fluid, won’t pull itself across the parking lot) was never in doubt.

However, I think in this case the situation kind of stinks. The unknown is what tests (if any) this mechanic ran to verify a head gasket or lower end problem. So far all I heard was a grungy radiator and cap and that means nothing.
If the mechanic did run some tests then the OP should have been billed for it. A free of charge diagnosis becomes instant suspect.

1 Like

I’m wondering if the car really needs the engine replaced

Well, you made it home. Motor must not be totally broke.