02 Jeep Liberty.... EXPERIENCED WRENCHES only need respond

Im not actually sure about that Texas. It goes from 2WD…to 4WD Hi…and 4WD Lo. I know of those vacume actuators which you speak of…I do NOT see them on this vehicle.

Here is an interesting update however. I changed the Xfer case fluid…went for a ride…Clunking was there…and actually seemed even more present. SO…I sat with engine running and in Neutral…and moved into and thru all settings on the Xfer case…went for a drive…More Clunking. Did that over again with engine running and in Neutral…Same thing.

SO…I pulled over…put trans in Neutral…and shut the engine OFF… THEN…I Moved the Xfer case lever from Stop to Stop…Quickly and with Positive force. Did this about 3X from Stop to Stop…

Went for a drive…ZERO CLUNKING… Methinks my first theory was correct…the xfer case was sort of partially still engaged… It was only until i shut it down and cycled thru the xfer case lever settings HARD…From Engaged…to HARD DISENGAGED… Now it seems to be clunk free.

I am going to look for some sort of adjustment or setting attached to that xfer case lever…Maybe I can Adjust its Throw? Hmmm… For now…she seems positively Disengaged…Which is where I want to be.

From what I can tell…A LOT of other Jeep Liberty people would like to read this as I see complaints of clunking ALL OVER THE PLACE…

Blackbird.