You cannot go over the speed limit to pass another vehicle

My lawyer wants to get the judge to agree to send me to traffic school so I don’t receive points for the school bus situation.

My disability will get in the way of attending traditional traffic school. I rather much lie down on my bed and do the course on my laptop.

Yup!
Whether you like higher speeds or not, the bottom line is that you need to drive at the prevailing speed on a highway–no matter what the speed limit might be. As noted earlier in this thread, the speed disparity between vehicles is far more likely to cause an accident than simply driving at high speed.

Every 3 years, I take the AARP’s Defensive Driving course online, in order to get a nice discount on my car insurance. Obviously, most of the people who take that course are “older”, but anyone can avail themselves of this 6 hour online course.

Anyway… one of the safe driving principles they recommend is that someone should limit himself/herself to secondary roads if they don’t feel comfortable driving at the high speeds that are necessary on expressways.

1 Like

You should have been able to make that deal without the assistance of a lawyer. If you sit through a court session you might find that everyone is given the opportunity to attend traffic school in exchange for a reduced penalty.

Thanks for the info. I’m learning from you guys.

I’ve never been to court in my entire life.

If there’s nothing preventing the OP from attending a few traffic court sessions as an observer prior to their actual hearing, that sort of experience can prove very helpful. There are many local rules that govern the proceedings that you wouldn’t know about unless you had seen them. One of the benefits of hiring a lawyer is the lawyer has already attended many hearings with many different judges, so can estimate by this history within a fairly narrow range what the particular judge will likely rule and what sort of work-a-rounds the judge will go along with.

1 Like

I must also inform you guys that I lost my hearing a decade ago. So my license it states hearing impaired.

I took the aarp course last time. My agent used to do them and handed out fresh baked cookies for break, but he and everyone else is getting older so he stopped. I guess it is a good refresher and you print out the certificate at the end. My biggest issue with them was a couple chapters where their emphasis was on friends, family and neighbors convincing drivers to turn in their keys. I thought it smacked of being totalitarian and not consistent with helping seniors be better drivers. That should be the emphasis, not encouraging arm chair neurologists to diagnose conditions and report them to doctors, insurance, and dmv. I don’t remember the specifics anymore but just buzz through that chatter. As I age though I have found I can’t drive all night anymore and need my sleep.

Well, to be fair, the course asks participants to consider many factors before deciding whether to turn-in their car keys. And, it does provide caregivers/relatives with strategies for having “the talk” with the older driver.

But, like you, I tried to limit my exposure to that part of the course. Because you can’t skip anything, I simply opened another window on the computer, and checked my email while they blathered on about when someone should consider not driving anymore.

Research if the court provides any help for this. For example they may provide headphones (if requested) so you can turn up the audio volume to fit your needs.

It’s a nerve damaged issue. I can only hear sounds but can’t coordinate with words.

But I think the judge and my lawyer will discuss this since on my license it states my hearing impairment.

I 100% agree and have often had that thought.

So if LEO doesn’t care, then that proves it’s the culture here!

In America, at least, the speed limit is the slowest you should drive, it seems, up to 10 or 15mph over, depending on the jurisdiction.

Well, you all do the American thing. I’m doing what’s un-American: the RIGHT thing:

50 in a 55, RH lane, 60 in a 65, RH lane, etc. And I find I still have to pass someone, occasionally, with this method.

1 Like

I’ll remember that next trip through your fair country side. On the radio though an Ohio trooper said 9 you are fine, 10 you are mine.

In Minnesota, I got pulled over by a deputy for 59 in a 55. He didn’t ticket but said to just slow down. Got stopped by a patrol for 70 in a 55 and let me go, and also got a ticket for 70 another time. Just never know I guess.

I should follow advise form people who have speeding tickets? I drive a reasonable speed and do not get stopped by police.

1 Like

lol … Tom speaks to this topic on several of the recent Best of Podcasts. In particular Montana’s (then pending) change to no daytime speed limit at all. Go as fast as you want. Tom was definitely not a happy camper … lol …

In fairness to Montana, in my own Montana driving experience, it has excellent, well maintained roads, not much traffic, and much of the state is very flat, so if any state could have no daytime speed limits, it would be Montana. Eastern Wyoming is probably in that category too.

And what makes you the be-all and end-all of driving?? And the rest of us wrong… Sounds a little narcissistic to me…

2 Likes

Hey, I didn’t choose to be born in the United States of Anarch - ahem - America! But I sure like to make people think about what they’re doing, shake things up a little.

Like I said, the open boarder works both ways if you do not like this country and don’t like living here, we are over populated anyway, be nice to see some go… lol

And you have not changed anyone’s mind here (about driving slower) that I have seen, sorry but not much of an influencer here, I hear TikTok and YouTube etc is all about influencers and has lots of room for some more though… :wink:

1 Like

‘Tik Tok’? It’s because of sites like that our political, and other, norms are in the toilet.

I pray the Tik Tok ban goes through, courts be damned.

1 Like

Ive never been on the Merritt Parkway when you could do even close to the speed limit. The best I could do is 35 mph