Why can't I tow with my Prius V?

Good morning, could you please bring this back on topic? Thanks.

My common sense tells me many motorcycles (especially v-twins and touring bikes) have more low end torque than a Prius or a small-engine economy car that has four valves per cylinder.

A weight distribution hitch can go a long way in addressing this issue.

It might have something to do with the fact that the first generation Prius does not handle well. The ride is stiff and uncomfortable, and that reputation might have stuck.

Personally, I wouldnā€™t buy a hybrid because I prefer simple machines. Itā€™s usually the complicated systems, like variable valve timing, variable spark timing, etc. that fail and require costly repairs. I feel the same way about hybrid batteries. Iā€™d rather have a small non-hybrid economy car that gets 36-38 MPG than a hybrid that gets 40-50 MPG.

Iā€™ve never used a weight distributing hitch. ( I hope this is sufficiently car related) but my understanding is that it simply shifts the weight on the tongue. So you can either make the weight on the tongue lighter or heavier. Sure would help handling but would have nothing to do with the ability to start, stop, or correct for wind sway. Am I wrong? Like I said the only ones Iā€™ve ever seen used is on the heavier trailers.

PS: My burst appendix and week hospital stay cost me $800 out of pocket and they gave me a year to pay, no interest. Not exactly bankrupting.

A weight distribution hitch uses leverage to take tongue weight off the rear end and distribute more weight to the front wheels. The added traction in the front does make for better stopping and starting.

This website explains both how the weight distribution hitch works and how a sway control device works: http://www.haymanreese.com.au/download/understanding-weight-distribution-and-sway-control

I donā€™t disagree with that except the traction will be the same on the front right up to the point of losing traction though. So if you never get to the point of losing grip on the front, not sure how it would have much of an effect. It would though I suppose tend to make the front end feel a little lighter but really we are normally talking about 1-200 pounds on the hitch is all, normally. Same as a guy standing on the bumper.

Wife and I purchased a new 1991 Jeep Cherokee Laredo with (as far as I recall) all options including the 5,000 lbs towing package. Curb weight 3070 pounds. My ex thought we should get a camping trailer. I was confused due to her concept of ā€œcampingā€ was if the hotel had a tree. Of course her concept of a suitable camping trailer far exceeded 5,000 lbs. If possible watch the movie 'the long, long trailer (1953) starring Desi Arnaz and Lucille Ball. Besides being hilarious it is a graphic example of exceeding towing capacity. My Jeep ended up towing nothing but was equipped with a hitch receiver bike rack.

I like to get the towing package because it often includes a better radiator, maybe a transmission cooler, maybe a bigger alternator. All good to have, even when I never tow anything.

Good for you Bing you must have super insurance ,a lot of us cannot afford such good insurance,I expect when the electric motor is churning a prius has more bottom end grunt then a Harley

1 Like

Accurate information. It all comes down to ā€œjust because you can doesnā€™t mean you shouldā€!

I remember that one. My mom loved watching Lucy. I believe it was a 57 Merc pulling that ā€œmobile homeā€ through the mountains, but it did pretty good I think. I really liked that car, and even at 9 years old wondered what he had to pay for it, and how youā€™d get a job good enough to buy one. Funny but I still canā€™t afford a 57 Merc.

I also live with the giant pickup SUV culture. I will never understand why they spend 40 to 50 thousand dollars plus at least 15 thousand more on wheels, tires, lift kits, automatic entry steps, brush guard, bed liner/cover, and a dozen extra lights. They then drive the fully off road equipped 15 mpg vehicle 2 miles on pavement to work or 1/2 mile to the 7/11!!! Complete idiots!!!

1 Like

I know several people with those oickups. And everyone of them are no more then 5ā€™5 and under 160lbs.

1 Like

It is not a logic issue, it is a status issue, Sure I have an urban assallt vehicle, out of need, but yeah people that have money spend it having every option available.

I have no hate for the Toyota Prius which I consider amazing technology. Mine is reserved for the Prius owners which you describe.

In the early 1980s there was an MGA drag racer on display at the Tacoma, WA mall. It had a large DC motor in the trunk and multiple lead acid batteries in the engine compartment. Of course NHRA did not have an EV class so it was exhibition only. It ran low 12 second ETs which was quite respectable. Of course itā€™s range was about 4 miles, 1/4 mile at a time.

Didnā€™t Saturn try something similar?

My Father paid $304 FOB (train) Denver, CO for his 1926 Ford Model T roadster. He could have saved about $15 by picking it up at the factory.

Don ā€œBig Daddyā€ Garlits has been playing around with a EV dragster lately.