Why can't I tow with my Prius V?

Many people buy trucks they cannot afford as daily drivers (not saying your brother is one) because they own a house and think they need a pickup truck to bring home a 2x4 and a bag of mulch, if gas ever got really truly expensive in this country it would sure change the way people thought about what they drove and would help keep the idiots off the road.

6 dollar a gallon fuel? Bring it on I say. I am honest here, I started a whole debate about this years ago and it went nowhere.

Here in the blue collar working class world we get stuff done with what we have, if that means loading a 2x4 into a small car, so be it. It can be done no problem.

You still want the weight shifted front or you run the risk of unhitching. Even weight thatā€™s balanced in the middle can cause a unhitch when going uphill or even a bump.

In our state a lock pin or padlock is law, to prevent unhitching, a spare tire for a trailer is also required. Properly connected I can not see unhitching an issue, though I guess there have been enough problems that safety chains are required also. Many recommend the driver side safety chain be longer than the passenger side so the trailer will drift away from oncoming traffic if unhitched.

Oh oh. Here we go again.
Rick, weā€™ve been over this $6/gal gas debate. You seem totally oblivious to the harm it would cause far too many commuters who are living week-to-week already. It makes far more sense to let the market decide. Simple supply and demand will determine the best price.

Trying to artificially manipulate prices despite the implications can be disastrous. All actions have equal and opposite reactions. I say this would be an economic disaster, and a personal disaster for millions of hard working honest people.

1 Like

I just overhauled my utility trailer-bed, sides, paint, led lights, hubs, bearings, tires, and new safety chain. I have to say that I always make the left and the right the same length. I just canā€™t see how a longer chain on the drivers side would make it drift to the right side of the road? Just the opposite in my view. The trailer would point to the on-coming lane, no? Of course you avoid unhooking at all costs by inspecting/replacing the mechanism because if the dang thing ever did come loose, it would make a mess of your bumper and trunk.

1 Like

You are right. It is easy for me to forget there are many commuters outside of where I live that drive sensible vehicles already. Around here there are many that commute in full size trucks getting 15mpg or less, and all they do is complain about the money they spend on fuel. I get sick of it.

1 Like

I wouldnā€™t tow in a Prius.
But then, youā€™d never catch me owning a Prius. lol

1 Like

Why is that? I bet if your choice was a prius or walking you would take the prius. I grew up dirt poor, many times our only transportation was a bicycle. It really changes your perspective on things. You must live a charmed life.

nah, nothing so snooty about me.

Iā€™m not sure my big 'ole but would fit! lol The walk would probably do me some good. :wink:

1 Like

Why do people carry on like driving a Prius is some sort of sacrifice that one endures like a monk wearing a hairshirt? I know someone who drove Cadillacs all his life and he bought a Prius after trying one of his friendsā€™ Prius car. He was simply that impressed by the Prius. Itā€™s a remarkable car with an unmatched record for reliability. Besides, who hates good gas mileage?

Also, looking at this carā€™s track record of reliability and long service life, even when driven 100 mph or climbing the steep grades in San Francisco with a load full of passengers, the idea that its drive train would be over strained by towing a 400 pound motorcycle trailer simply does not compute.

1 Like

@B.L.E because some people might need to tow a boat, take 2 dogs and a cat on vacation and have room fr luggage, like in the rack that goes on the rear hitch.

The Prius is a favorite target for haters. They may not have driven one, but they know all about it, and the people who drive them.

1 Like

Iā€™m not the type that likes to jump on hate bandwagons.

1 Like

I have nothing against a prius, would even buy one, but does not suit towing a boat and traveling with 2 dogs and a cat and luggage. Sure I have to redefine my liife style so can live with a priouis car?

I saw a Guy haul a long piece of used gutter ,I think it was under His 73 Mustang or strapped to the side (it can be done ) I do agree gas is too cheap ,I think this everytime a see a single 130 # woman filling up a Surburban .

1 Like

Some peopleā€™s egos wonā€™t fit in anything smaller.

1 Like

The weight is still shifted front in the UK, itā€™s just not as far front as standards here call for.

Being more specific I read somewhere tongue weight should be 10% of trailer weight.
I donā€™t know if that US or UK standard.

Yeah, thatā€™s for the US, I believe. In the UK, tongue weight (they call it ā€œnose loadā€ over there) of 4% is the legal minimum, and they consider a good target range to be 5-7%.

1 Like

More than once I hauled 10 foot lengths of copper pipe or aluminum trim pieces on the outside of the car with a little duct tape. Worked fine for the 40 or so miles and meant I didnā€™t have to take the trailer. Only problem though is that duct tape residue is hard to get off.