Where to report a bad, dishonest mechanic

Hi James. You are free to add to whatever discussion you want, even if it’s 9 years old. We like having more people who do repairs (pro or shade tree).

Please don’t call anybody inherently crooked. We can’t say that about anybody when we are all sitting behind screens.

If you disagree with the advice, engage with the substance. Don’t attack the other posters’ character. Someone may search and find your answer in nine years, unless I have to lock the whole thing because it needlessly devolved into flaming.

I appreciate the response you made to the OP. And I’m one of those who does not mind seeing someone reply to an old post. Even though a post is old, some of us may not have seen it, and a reply to it doesn’t bother me as it does another reader, who is constantly calling out posters with “You replied to an x year old post”.

2 Likes

as @ok4450 asked, what bad advice?

I never said that and neither did anyone else that’s posted since you reopened the thread. Actually a lot of people do recommend using google reviews (me included)

Seriously?

An occasion when I don’t mind it is when someone replies to an old post about a previous problem when they don’t have the same vehicle as the OP did, then you get conflicting answers from people who try to answer the old OP and some who try and answer the new person’s question and it gets confusing at times. I’ve always recommended that the person start their own thread and copy a link to the old thread

2 Likes

No!
It might imply– to some people–that a person or persons is/are dishonest.

You can thank me later for the little bit of education that I have provided for you.
:wink:

4 Likes

I noticed this was a 9 year old discussion. I was just going to say it’s not your job to rid the world of incompetent mechanics, so be happy and go on with your life and maybe tell your friends. Often though customers are wrong and have failed to understand the issue. Cars now have two separated brake lines so if one caliper fails, you still have two more wheels with brakes. Sure it can reduce braking but not exactly life threatening, especially if you realize there is a problem to start with. Brake fluid on a wheel is pretty easy to spot.

The other thing is, some people simply have a history of choosing bad vendors the same as some people seem to pick bad partners. Either way it always ends badly and it is always the other person’s fault.

3 Likes

Keep in mind that in regards to the 10 year old the OP of that post does not even own the vehicle in question. They are relaying second hand information from their friend who claims to have been ripped off.

As I’ve discovered over the years there is quite often a bit more to the story due to omissions, differences in interpretation, and so on. Whether that’s the case here i do not know so I’m just sayin’…

5 Likes