Wheel Bearings. How often do they go bad?

Using WD40 for lubrication or some brake cleaner?

Keith- there was no question that I needed the wheel bearing, the growl was unmistakeable and I could Jack up that wheel and replicate. I searched the PT forums to see why I needed a wheel bearing at 40,000 an found a lot of them had gone bad early and that was the only explanation posted. If I had let someone replace the wheel bearing based on that explanation instead of the symptons, then I agree I would have a bogus deed in my file cabinet.

Keith & oldtimer- bearing currents are a real phenomenon, but I have to say that this is the first I’ve ever heard about static electricity causing it. Usually you see this problem on AC motors driven by variable frequency drives. I find it hard to imagine that there is enough current in a static electric discharge to do the kind of damage you see that is typical of bearing current damage.

The currently common unitized hub assemblies using ball bearings with a narrow spacing seem significantly more prone to failure than the wide spaced tapered roller bearings that they are replacing. The failure of front wheel bearings of the “old school” design were almost always the result of contamination, improper installation or gross overloading. Failure was very rare. But the currently common hub assemblies are a failure looking for a place to happen. The only front wheel bearings to fail on a vehicle that I owned was the result of loading 5,500+ pounds of freight on an F-150 and driving 75 miles.

@goodshepherd–Back in the old days when car radios weren’t standard equipment, there were noise suppression kits that one bought when he/she was going to install an aftermarket radio. One item in the kit was a static collector that went in the hub of each front wheel under the grease cap.

I question the “static” part myself because the effected wheel bearings all seem to be on the drivers side under where the battery and load center are.

In the 1950s it became a fad among some hot rodders to drag “grounding” chains from the rear shackles of their cars to protect the chassis from static electricity. Maybe we will see chains dragging the pavement again. Maybe some will go so far as to wear aluminum helmets that are grounded to the chassis which is protected by the dragging chains. Will the McParts stores void all hub bearing warranties when grounding chains have not been used? Are the vehicles at Area 51 protected from static charges?

Rod, I believe the propensity toward early failure of today’s double row ball bearings is not the spacing, but rather the very low surface contact of spheres relattive to rollers. Roller bearings, because they distribute stresses over a larger contact area, and less prone to failure.

I realize I’m quibbling over a small technical point, but it keeps my brain from atrophying.

Vehicles in area 51 are protected by the neutron/proton strong force emitted from the intergalactic spaceships.

I will agree that the most significant weakness of the hub assemblies is ball bearings, TSM. Roller bearings obviously have a much better survival rate regardless of spacing. But the minimal spacing of the races in hub assemblies would appear to compound the inherent weakness of the ball bearing. And don’t ball bearings used in hubs require more pre-loading than roller bearings? And it was my understanding that ball bearing were better suited to a flowing liquid lubrication rather than grease yet the hubs are packed with a heavy grease I believe. But, all in all, the hub assemblies are a great failure in my opinion. They are just another step toward making automobiles another disposable product.

And are those intergalactic spaceships at Area 51 being used by the administration to “bing” us at random in an effort to increase new car sales? And BTW, what gauge aluminum are you using in your helmet?

I think it would be more accurate to say that ball bearings require more exacting preloading. They have zero tolerance for imprecise preloading because they have such tiny load distribution paths.

To me it’s more evidence that unrealistic federal requirements manifest themselves as weaknesses that to the general public are hidden. Nohing new there.

Nope. They’re using drones to “bing” us.

I use heavy duty Reynolds Wrap. It costs more, but it’s worth it.

I had a '99 S-10, V6, 4 wheel drive that had a front bearing fail around 70K miles. But I don’t remember changing wheel bearings ever before. Only been driving 65 yrars.

I had a '99 S-10, V6, 4 wheel drive that had a front bearing fail around 70K miles. But I don't remember changing wheel bearings ever before. Only been driving 65 yrars.

GM pickups has had a known long running run with ball-bearings premature failure.

I haven’t had a ball-bearing ever fail either. I sold my 84 S-15 at about 110k miles…so I guess I was overdue.