VW Passat 2003 no heat

I have a 2003 VW Passat that is no longer getting heat inside the car. This was noticeable after I took it in for the recall on the drivers side seat heater. Supposedly they fixed the recall but I no longer have heat on the drivers side seat or inside the car.

Now they want $2300 to fix the heater coil.

What options do I have without having to fight with the dealer?

You appear to be talking about two totally different systems.

The seat heaters tend to have problems with the connections under the seat. After a few winters with snow and salt dragged in, they can become corroded and may require cleaning or replacement. It is also possible the heater cables in the seat may be broken and that generally means replacing the seat. From the price you quoted, I would guess that is your situation.

Do you know exactly what was done in that recall?  Do you know what exactly is being referred to as "heater coil."  You have more than one thing in your car that could be called a heater coil. 

If my guesses are correct then the recall and the current problem are not related.

Failure of the heated seats (internal wiring) is not all that unusual so finding a replacement from the recycle yard may be difficult.  If it were me I would live without it.  I do really like my heated seats, but not that much.  Has anyone checked to make sure there is power getting to the connector under the seat? 

Does the passenger seat heater work?  

Now the second problem.  We need more information.  Do you get heat after driving for say 30 minutes?  Does the fan blow cold air rather than warm?  Do you have a CEL (Check Engine Light)?

The heater just blows out regular air. Doesn’t get hot or colder. There is no “CEL” light indicator lit. Even after a long drive (one hour or more) the car heater does not heat.
Also, the seat heater recall was just for the drivers side.
The passenger side seat heater still works.
There was another recall for the heat shield which I can’t seem to locate the details of again. Would the heat shield have anything to do with heating the car?

Just curious,Since “recalls” tend to involve safety issues was there a safety issue in regards to the heated seat,maybe they would catch on fire,that would not be cool.

The recall for the heater on the drivers seat was some sort of safety recall. If I can find the link I will post it for you.

Here is some additional info I found from the NHTSA. Since the dealers will “FLASH ALL 1.8T ENGINES WITH A PRECAUTIONARY SOFTWARE UPDATE.” Can this have something to do with the car heater not working?

"Summary:
VOLKSWAGEN IS RECALLING 412,000 MY 1999-2005 PASSAT (5TH GENERATION) VEHICLES EQUIPPED WITH AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSIONS AND PRODUCED AFTER JUNE 14, 1999. THESE VEHICLES MAY HAVE AN UNDERBODY HEAT SHIELD THAT CAN BECOME DAMAGED. IN ADDITION, AFFECTED VEHICLES WITH AUTOMATIC OR MANUAL TRANSMISSIONS MAY HAVE A FUEL LINE (1.8T ENGINES ONLY) OR FUEL TANK VENTILATION VALVE (4MOTION/ALL WHEEL DRIVE ONLY) THAT CAN LEAK DUE TO FRACTURE.
Consequence:
A HEAT SHIELD THAT MAY CONTACT THE EXHAUST SYSTEM CAN RESULT IN A VEHICLE FIRE. IN ADDITION, A FUEL LEAK FROM A FUEL LINE OR FUEL TANK VENTILATION VALVE, IN THE PRESENCE OF AN IGNITION SOURCE, CAN LEAD TO A VEHICLE FIRE.
Remedy:
DEALERS WILL INSTALL ADDITIONAL UNDERBODY HEAT SHIELDS ON VEHICLES WITH AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSIONS TO COVER THE POSSIBLY DAMAGED AREAS AND FLASH ALL 1.8T ENGINES WITH A PRECAUTIONARY SOFTWARE UPDATE. DEALERS WILL ALSO INSPECT AND ADJUST THE FUEL LINE ROUTING ON 1.8T VEHICLES AND THE FUEL TANK VENTILATION VALVE ON 4MOTION/ALL WHEEL DRIVE VEHICLES, AND REPLACE COMPONENTS IF NECESSARY FREE OF CHARGE. THE RECALL BEGAN ON JUNE 13, 2008. OWNERS MAY CONTACT VOLKSWAGEN AT 1-800-822-8987. "

While reading the recalls on NHTSA I found two posting by other 2003 Passat owners one post seems to relate to my heating coil problem. Does anyone agree?

Make : VOLKSWAGEN Model : PASSAT Year : 2003
Manufacturer : VOLKSWAGEN OF AMERICA, INC
Crash : No Fire : No Number of Injuries: 0
ODI ID Number : 10238727 Number of Deaths: 0
Date of Failure: August 8, 2008
VIN : WVWPH63B73P…
Component: ENGINE AND ENGINE COOLING:COOLING SYSTEM
Summary:
THE HEATER CORE TUBING IN THE CAR DISINTEGRATED AT ABOUT 18,000 MILES. THIS RESULTED IN THE CHECK ENGINE LIGHT APPEARING, COOLANT LEAKING INTO OTHER PARTS OF THE ENGINE DEPARTMENT,AND THE FUMES FROM THE COOLANT IN THE PASSENGER COMPARTMENT. AT THIS TIME THE VEHICLE WAS UNDER WARRANTY, SO I TOOK IT TO THE VOLKSWAGEN DEALERSHIP. THEY REPLACED THE PURGE VALVE (ABOUT AN HOURS WORK) AND RETURNED THE CAR TO ME. I TOOK THE CAR BACK TWO MORE TIMES FOR THE SAME PROBLEM BEFORE THE WARRANTY RAN OUT AND THE DEALERSHIP PERFORMED THE SAME SERVICE. THE COOLANT LEAK BECAME SIGNIFICANTLY WORSE (I BEGAN ADDING COOLANT EVERY 3-4 DAYS) AT AROUND 82,000 MILES AND THE FUMES FROM THE COOLANT IN THE PASSENGER COMPARTMENT BECAME VERY STRONG. I TOOK THE CAR TO ANOTHER REPAIR SHOP AND THE MECHANIC DISCOVERED THAT THE TUBING FROM THE HEATER CORE HAD COMPLETELY DISINTEGRATED AND THE HEATER CORE NEEDED TO BE REPLACED ALTOGETHER. I HAVE SEASONAL ASTHMA ASSOCIATED WITH ALLERGIES AND INHALING THE FUMES FROM THE COOLANT HAS MADE THE CONDITION WORSE. I AM CURRENTLY HAVING THE VEHICLE REPAIRED AT A COST OF APPROXIMATELY $1200. *TR
Check to Request Research. Submit below.

Make : VOLKSWAGEN Model : PASSAT Year : 2003
Manufacturer : VOLKSWAGEN OF AMERICA, INC
Crash : No Fire : No Number of Injuries: 0
ODI ID Number : 10237171 Number of Deaths: 0
Date of Failure: August 1, 2008
VIN : WVWMD63B83P…
Component: SEATS
Summary:
THE CAR SEAT HEATER (DRIVER’S SIDE) BURNED THROUGH THE FABRIC, LEAVING 1 INCH HOLE IN THE SEAT. THERE WAS NO INJURY. THIS HAPPENED WITH NORMAL USE OF THE HEATER. *TR
Check to Request Research. Submit below.