Voltswagen jetta is possess

Does anyone know why my 2002 volkswagen jetta stationwagon is jerking, resetting the clock, flashing all the indicators on the dash, and Its stalling. When it start it to drive the transmission won’t shift until it runs for about 5-10 minutes. One mechanic said the computer keeps resetting itself. The dealer said I needed a new transmission, but after 5 minutes the transmission shifts. Please help should I get rid of it. It only has 117,000 miles.

@dsingleton9
What different diagnostics have been run by the “one mechanic,” dealer, and others? Could they not pinpoint the problem or the system at fault?

If it can’t be fixed while these different people have the car in front of them, just imagine the difficulty fixing it over the internet.

What DTCs (diagnostic fault codes) are being triggered?

Have the basics been checked?
Based on the symptoms you describe I suspect a glitch in the car’s electrical system (charging/starting) or engine or body wiring (including fuse/relay boxes), and it isn’t necessarily some computer hardware or software issue (although these vehicles have had those, too).

Was the battery, wiring, and ground connections gone over for any problems?
CSA

1 Like

I thought it was my computer to and my mechanic is looking to get one for me. I also wondered about the wiring and if it is grounded. The dealer did a diagnostic but I let my mechanic deal with it. I’m going to have him look at the battery, wiring, and ground connections. My mechanic is frustrated with it cause he can’t figure out just what is making the transmission act up. I’m driving it everyday with the problems and it’s still going. It’s a good car and I want to keep it, but I would like to get the glitches fixed.

Has anybody tested the electrical system? It sounds to me like you have a bad battery connection, battery (perhaps an internal failure… loose post perhaps), alternator or connection, or something of that nature. Get that fixed and chances are excellent that the tranny will begin to work properly too.

1 Like

@thesamemountainbike

Notice From…
The Department Of Redundancy Department:

Your comments highlighted the same concerns that I addressed earlier. It could be that we are on the right track, here. :sunglasses:
CSA

Thanks Guys I’ll have that checked out.

Damn. I knew I should have stayed awake during that reading comprehension course!!

Seriously, I’m having a terrible time acclimating to this new format. But I think you’re right. I think we’re on the right track. :relaxed:

[quote=“the_same_mountainbik, post:7, topic:93964, full:true”]
Damn. I knew I should have stayed awake during that reading comprehension course!!

Seriously, I’m having a terrible time acclimating to this new format. But I think you’re right. I think we’re on the right track. :relaxed:
[/quote]You also seem to have misspelled your own name.:imp:

Oh oh. Now how the heck to you go about changing your name without losing everything. Maybe it was a format change issue or something. I’m glad we now have a department of redundancy department anyway but that’ll eliminate half of our comments. Especially without an agree button.

[quote=“Bing, post:9, topic:93964, full:true”]
Oh oh. Now how the heck to you go about changing your name without losing everything. Maybe it was a format change issue or something.[/quote]Yes, I have a feeling the software decided our friend’s name was too long-winded.

I wonder if the alternator is overcharging

I’ve seen a few vehicle act totally crazy . . . limited communication, modules going into limp-home mode, etc., because charging voltage was 16V or higher

When the regulator was replaced, everything was back to normal

If the voltage is either too far under or over the expected range, many modules simply will not operate correctly

@bing, you don’t have an Agree button, but clicking the heart signifies Like. We’ve had discussions about the meaning of Like vs. Agree years ago, but it is an option if you’d prefer to get some rest from typing.

1 Like

NYBo is right. My name is simply longer than the new software is designed to accomondate. So I’m truncated. It’s okay I’ve been truncated before. I’m divorced! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

That may be the case at this point (with this new site host), but those of us who have been in this forum for many years will recall that “mountainbike’s” previous identity was wiped-out the last time that this site converted to a new format.

After having his previous identity (“mountainbike”) wiped-out, my friend re-registered as “the same mountainbike”. This seems to me to be a case of somebody who has been taken advantage of–on multiple occasions–by software updates.

Hmmmm…
:scream:

See bug reports, issue for mr bike is being looked into.

TSM You almost got it right. In federal civil service it is the Department of Redundancy Redundancy Department. LOL

I’m perfectly comfortable with the new name. I never was a spellling fanatic anyway.
Now that I’m getting accustomed to the new site and figuring out how to do some stuff, I’m starting to like it.

VDC, you have a good memory. My current name came about many years ago when the new (now obsolete) software wouldn’t accept “Mountainbike”. Not a problem, however. If that’s the biggest problem I ever have I’ll consider myself truely blessed. If I THINK that’s my biggest problem I’ll consider myself truly ignorant! :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

[quote=“VDCdriver, post:14, topic:93964, full:true”]

That may be the case at this point (with this new site host), but those of us who have been in this forum for many years will recall that “mountainbike’s” previous identity was wiped-out the last time that this site converted to a new format.

After having his previous identity (“mountainbike”) wiped-out, my friend re-registered as “the same mountainbike”. This seems to me to be a case of somebody who has been taken advantage of–on multiple occasions–by software updates.

Hmmmm…
:scream:
[/quote]Yes, I remember the days of the original Mountainbike and his reincarnation.

LOL, I don’t feel “taken advantage of” one bit. The whole thing doesn’t bother me one iota. Whatever an iota is.

I lust enjoy keeping company here totally oblivious to my tag. Besides, it seems to be a good conversation piece! I’d like to keep it as-is! :+1:

Well like my director told my boss once: “You’re not paranoid Bob, people really are out to get you”.