Timing Belt Change - Mitsubishi endeavor

Mitsubishi recommends that you have them change the timing Belt at 60,000 miles. It is a lot of money and I am not convinced that it needs to be done as i have never heard of anyone ever changing a timing belt as preventative maintenance. What is your advice?

In my experience, Mitsubshi’s in general are the worse about breaking timing belts if you ignore the maintenance schedule. If you think changing the belt is expensive, not changing it is a LOT more expensive.

BTW, almost all cars with timing belts have a recommended change interval as PM.

Many of the Mitsubishis have what is known as an interference engine. That means if the timing belt were to break the pistons will hit (interfere with) the valves and the valves will be bent. The expense of replacing a cylinder head AND timing belt far exceeds the cost of replacing the timing belt as a preventative maintenance item. Just because you never heard of it, doesn’t mean it’s not a good idea. Here: http://www.gates.com/downloads/download_common.cfm?file=428-1466_web1.pdf&folder=brochure is a link to the Gates timing belt replacement guide. You didn’t say which Mitsu you own, so look yours up. If it says it should be replaced every 60K miles, do it.

You should also consider having it done by a good independent shop. It’s not rocket surgery. Any good mechanic can do it, probalby cheaper than the dealer. Ask around.