Suggestions for Geezermobile wanted

I have a hard time thinking of an Accord as especially hard riding or noisy, but I’ll think a moment. The Lincoln MKZ of a few years ago was based on the excellent (very reliable) Ford Fusion, but should be a bit softer riding and maybe a bit quieter. I don’t have any special knowledge about prices, but Lincolns tend to depreciate badly, so this should be pretty reasonable. It’s slightly smaller than your Accord, though still in the same general class of vehicles.

Anything significantly smaller will almost certainly have a ride at least as stiff as the Accord’s, and be at least as noisy. That’s just the nature of small cars. Bucks are the classic grannymobiles, but they aren’t very competitive in smaller cars. For a couple of years they’ve sold the Verano, related to the Chevy Cruze, but I’d have a hard time recommending it as the smaller GM products don’t do well on reliability. It is a nice size, a bit smaller than an Accord, but still big enough for most adults, but I suspect it won’t be quiet enough for you.

The Camry that many mention is the Accord’s archival from Toyota, and in most respects they are similar, but it does tend to ride a bit more softly. I don’t think there will be a big difference in noise, but most reviewers think it is quiet. Most cars these days are absolutely loaded with soundproofing materials and have excellent aerodynamics, so should levels are far lower than a generation back. For most cars tire and suspension noise make up most of the noise, so quieter tires can give a meaningful improvement.

Good luck finding something appealing. Ride and noise are very subjective so it may take some tests before you find dome thing you like.

A 2008 Lincoln MKZ should sell for about $10,000 at a dealer, and should have about 100,000 miles on it. Less miles will increase the price.

I originally suggested a Lexus, but for the money a more recent model Camry probably incorporates much of the comfort/tech that an older Lexus would have had, so I’d say look for a Camry or Avalon in your price range & drive that to see if it meets your needs. I have read complaints about Honda/Acura vehicles having a rough idle and less cushy rides.

Williams Mama,

You didn’t mention if there were other considerations, such as problems getting in and out of the vehicle. For example, I had a 2011 Ford Fusion which I really liked, but I kept hitting my knees when getting in and out. I now have a 2011 Ford Taurus which lets me get in and out with no problem plus it is a bigger car. However, I don’t know if that is too big for you. BTW, I am also 70 years young.

Am I correct in understanding that you’ll be the one driving and your mom will ride?
Hey, why not take her shopping with you for some weekend test drives until you find one you both like? Make every weekend a string of pleasure cruises until you succeed.

Here’s one

Here’s mine

Yosemite