Stupid Fast

Bloody, I don't know where you've been the last 20 years but being a 50 year old white male is a decided disadvantage to a minority female-regardless of qualifications

If you believe that…I have this bridge in Brooklyn I can sell you. I grew up seeing it…I fired a manager in one of my previous jobs for the treatment of minorities that worked for him.

Elon Musk is only 5’11". So that Tesla looks like it’s the height of my wifes Lexus.

^I know that hiring preferences WERE a BFD for getting hired as a pilot at USAir mainline. The median female pilot hired (early 00’s) had considerably less total time, TJ time, etc…than the median male pilot. So, you were at a disadvantage being male. It also gave me pause, flying mainline…if the female captain was unusually young to have four stripes. Did she have sufficient experience to make consistently good judgments?

But definitely, Tesla loses money selling cars, so that they can sell “cap and trade” CAFE credits at a profit. To the extent that Tesla is profitable, it is due to slinging these credits–the cars are proven money-losers.

Telsa is not profitable.

Must be getting money somewhere. Oh wait,someone said He went the route of GM.Go figure.

Must be getting money somewhere. Oh wait,someone said He went the route of GM.Go figure.

NO…It’s called PayPal. He made MILLIONS when he sold it.

There are several of the new high-tech companies that are not making any money yet investors and bankers keep throwing money at them. Tesla is the car builder example.

Amazon is a sales example. Profitable ONE of the last 4 quarters. Musk’s Solar City Corp. also doesn’t make any money. Neither does Twitter or LinkedIn but they don’t really make or sell anything but ads. Truly amazing to me that they can burn money and investor still buy their stocks. At least Tesla, Solar City and Amazon build or sell something tangible.

We didn’t learn much from the dot-com bust of 2000 did we? Two smelly kids with a server farm in their mom’s garage is NOT worth a billion dollars in stock valuation, except is was, for a short time, then it wasn’t.

Amazon didn’t make any money for it’s first 10 years. But investors saw the potential.

Young companies like Tesla have the potential to make a huge return for early investors. Investment bankers buy into many of them and expect that they will earn enough off the few that do make it big to offset ther losses on the ones that fail and provide a hefty profit.

Would love to feel being pushed back in the seat.
Would traction be.nough to accelerate the vehicle to 60 in 2.8 seconds?

Robert! where ya been?

Bing - I work in International Logistics. Every company I have worked for in the 26 years of my career has had an executive team of white males almost exclusively. There have a been a small sprinkling of white females at the executive level, especially in my current company. I have not seen minorities at the executive level AT ALL. Women are slightly better represented in middle management but the vast majority of women, and all minorities, seem to always be at the entry level and never in numbers that reflect the actual population. When I compare notes with executives in other industries I see much of the same and I don’t like it. I have yet to find an industry where being a minority female is an advantage.

Would traction be.nough to accelerate the vehicle to 60 in 2.8 seconds?

My suspicion is that those numbers were generated on a drag racing track somewhere. If you have never been to a drag race track, your shoes literally stick to the pavement when you try to walk on it. How else can the top fuel cars go zero to 100mph in under one second. They are already going 100 mph by the time they pass the christmas tree.
Now that’s “stupid fast”.

“Would traction be.nough to accelerate the vehicle to 60 in 2.8 seconds?”

Tesla claims peak acceleration is 1.1G, greater than free fall.

Earth’s gravity could accelerate you from zero to 60 in 2.733 seconds, and it would take 121 ft of altitude to do it.
1.1 G is about the limit of high performance street tires on ideal pavement conditions.

I was reading a road test comparing a Yamaha 600 cc sport bike and the 1000 cc version. They both had almost identical zero to 60 times, around 2.9 seconds. This is an indication that traction and/or keeping the front wheel on the ground is the limiting factor here. There is a saturation point where more power is just more wheelspin.

Boody, you won’t find that in the hard science or business areas like logistics, computers, engineering, transportation, etc. but try the soft industries like education, non-profits, government, justice, and so on. Just as an example in the past five years both our school superintendent and the Vo tec CEO are female minorities. Can’t count how many have come and gone in the Minneapolis school system. Look at the DC agency leaders or Chicago or Baltimore. Maybe not always the top dogs but upper management and middle management who do the hiring and normally set policy. To be honest though the 50 year old minority males had similar problems as the white males so maybe its an age thing and not sexist. In any case things have gotten pretty screwy over the past 30 years and I’m glad I’m out of it.

kmccune

Robert! where ya been?

You mean since I do not know about acceleration rates?
Or I have been driving blood to hospitals day and night.
(More sleeping in our car than in bed.)

just havent heard from ya.
The affirmative action industries,hire more disadvantaged groups,used to work for a DBE contractor.

Boody, you won't find that in the hard science or business areas like logistics, computers, engineering, transportation, etc. but try the soft industries like education, non-profits, government, justice, and so on. Just as an example in the past five years both our school superintendent and the Vo tec CEO are female minorities.

Here in NH education jobs are so poorly paid that the majority of people going into it are second income family members. And that usually means women. My youngest didn’t have a male teacher until he was in 8th grade.

Let’s not forget that two thirds of all jobs in the US are small companies with 20 people or less. Most of those companies are EXEMPT from hiring quotas.

This link says that half of all private sector workers are in businesses with less than 100 people:

http://www.entrepreneur.com/page/216022

I love NHRA racing. 7000 HP? Wow. Just wow.

I hope you guys don’t mind if I talk about cars for a while…