Static from Car Radio even when turned off

I have a 2002 Ford Aerostar. The speaker in the passenger side sliding door makes loud static noises even when the radio is turned off. The only way to stop the sound is to pop the circuit breaker for the radio. Does anyone know what can be done to fix this?

Fix/replace the radio.

1 Like

Factory wiring? Or has someone replaced the radio and grafted in a new connection?

My guess would be that either the radio is defective in a really odd way or the always on power connection that maintains the station presets is somehow shorting intermittently to the speaker wire. I think that the latter would be likely only if an aftermarket wiring job is coming apart.

Thanks for the replies. We’ve owned the car for several years and this just started. I’m sort of thinking of getting rid of the car so I am not too keen on fixing the radio, but if I must…I must. Thanks again.

I suspect there is an amplifier built into the door speaker. This is the way my Chrysler van is designed at least, so yours may be the same. If that is the case, then replacing that amp/speaker will solve the trouble I think.

Yes, I think your right. The static only only comes out of the speaker in that door. Thank you for teh advice.

One last comment for anyone wishing to fix their speakers on a Ford Windstar. I fixed my problem by doing the following:

1. removed screw from behind the inside sliding door handle
  2. removed screw from bottom of sliding door (if looking from outside the screw is on the left)
  3. popped out inside door panel.
  4. removed speaker and disconnected wires
  5. put back speaker, panel and screws.
    Now the static noise is gone. I still have a problem (I think I have a short somewhere), but I no longer have the loud crackling from the speaker.

Here’s a completely different angle on the problem and a shot in the dark…

Have you recently started carrying a cell phone?

When I place my cell phone near certain radios, whether the radio is turned on or off, it will cause the radio to randomly emit static noise.

Interesting thought, but my wife and I have had cell phones for a while. I was wondering if it was being caused by some outside electronic source. However, now that I have disconnected the one speaker, everything seems fine.

If you let it sit very long, your battery will probably go dead. What ever is wrong with the radio is still wrong (you just can’t hear it now), and it is likely drawing power from the battery all of the time.

First- don’t panic. It is most likely the fuse of the radio - which went outside it’s temperature range if there was snow or too hot. Just find fuse for radio and take it out. If problems stops, buy new fuse.

The amplifier wiring is often the wire that damages the fuse, and this may also need changing.

Seeing this happened 9 years ago, I don’t think he will panic.

Not only late but does not even sound like real advice .

What is it that makes people log on here ,drag up a thread as their first and sometimes only post .