Stalled in 1st gear by accident would this cause any damage?

I was in 1st gear and was about to turn then a car literally going about 40 over the speed limit was coming so by accident as i was still in 1st gear slowed down to much before i could put the car in neutral and it stalled in gear. Would this cause any damage

That’s not a problem.

2 Likes

Stalling a manual isn’t a problem, but I am wondering about the statement I quoted above. You were going 40mph above the speed limit in 1st gear in a Mitsubishi Lancer??? What. pray tell, was the speed limit?

The original post is a little hard to read but I think the OP had to stop because of oncoming traffic that was going faster than the posted limit or at least appeared so.

Just curious, between this post and your other one about clutch smell and going to 4000 RPM is this your first manual transmission vehicle?

Nice catch, Volvo. And a good question.

No, as a one time event, that wouldn’t cause damage to your vehicle @Toiley .

1 Like

This is stuff you should not do. If follow lad you should not have anything to worry about.

When driving a manual you should never rest your hand on the stick, never ride the clutch (Do not leave the clutch pedal pressed), always stay in the appropriate gear based on your rpms (Meaning do not use a higher gear to gain speed when you are not going that fast). Do not let the car shake or what ever it does (Let it stall or apply the clutch pedal to avoid wear and tear), when you break always use neutral and shift down to appropriate gear (Do not leave it in a higher gear while slowing down), Do not leave the car in gear when at a red light (Leave it in neutral and shift to first when you are taking off), Don’t use clutch bite point to hold on an incline (Do not release the clutch until the bite point and feather the throttle to stay steady on the incline and keep the car rolling backwards. This would result in the great wear of the friction material of the clutch and you would need to replace it prematurely, Use the emergency brake when you are on a steep hill). Go slow on the clutch and you should be good.

All these could mess up your manual car so be aware.

Nono i was turning right so going about 5km then as i was about to go all i saw was him speeding

2nd manual car. And it wasnt clutch smell cause i wasnt holding down the clutch when the rpms were at 4k

With all due respect to the OP, since this is the third post that you have written regarding “mistakes” that you have made recently with your manual-shift car, are you sure that a manual transmission is a good idea for you? Perhaps you should consider getting a car with an automatic transmission, or if you want to keep this car, perhaps you should enlist the help of a friend who is more experienced with manual transmissions who can teach you proper techniques.

Here are his two other manual shift related problems:

:worried:

1 Like

Perhaps it WAS his third post, but what say we try to help him anyway?
The good Lord knows I’ve had to ask more than once to get clarity on occasion.

1 Like

I sense a troll.

I think that my suggestion–to enlist the help of a friend who is experienced in driving a manual transmission–is helpful.

Asking questions is fine, but words on a computer screen are a poor substitute for a person sitting next to the OP who can instruct him in proper technique–before he destroys the clutch or causes an accident.

I totally agree.

When my daughter was in high-school she wanted to learn how to drive a standard. Being the analytical person she is she found text and videos on how to drive a standard. She asked me about learning how to drive my 98 pathfinder - which was a 5 speed manual. I told her I’d be glad to teach her. That’s when she informed me she did all the research and said had I covered. I handed her the keys and waited. About 20 minutes later she came in and was very upset because she couldn’t even get out of the driveway. I spent the next few days TEACHING her how to drive a manual.

I imagine most of us here were never “taught” how to drive a stick. If you really understand how a clutch operates, it’s obvious. I was driving Mom’s '62 Dart, 318, 3-on-the-tree, up and down a fairly steep driveway at age 14.

I agree insightful, but unfortunately I think there are very, very few young folks today to have any idea how a clutch works. But they can all make me look like an idiot when the subject turns to internet technology! :fearful: