Something seized?

Yeah, the problem is because the owner of the car ignored a loud squealing noise coming from the engine bay for over 1000 miles.

Take your car to a mechanics shop, and pay them to diagnose how bad it is, and decide if you want to pay to fix it.

There’s really no way we can properly tell you what’s wrong with your car from your descriptions.
And I don’t believe you’re mechanically inclined enough to find out if the camshaft is turning when the engine is cranking in order to let us know. You have enough trouble just describing it properly to us.

BC.

OK, fellas,taken all that y’all have offered , think I got some idea what mech to take it to.And mech indeed as Ive no inclination nor funds(nor smarts NOR tools) to tackle the increasingly obvious catastrophe as Ive wrought,dig(?)Im a courier and this would be th second motor I replace in as many vehicles.This my weekend runner that I was grinding near 1000 miles into 2 days a week(might get some 75miles the other 5 days).Anyway,water pump theory will be the instigator of this post;think back in May is when the squeal (only on start-up)went to the serpentine snapping hotlightpops up and I roll some half a block to a pepboys.Belt replaced I kept going as the squeal silenced for about 2-3-weeks.The water stayed put as well.Sometime around July came the second hotlight and a half-empty radiator-which is when th mechon hand found signs of stopleak and the next 3-4 weeks was constantky keeping a jug of coolant in the back until this herehappe’d in th middle of August.So,aye,Ive sorely abused th bOX and with the truth likely now lying in the block(heads,even)I shall talk to an import mech thats just 2 blocks from me.But with the hope of mebbe just mebbe merely needing the water pump or …

I will save you some time, there is NO HOPE its just the water pump… NOPE, NONE, ZERO… No “mebbes” about it :slight_smile:

Eh…a pocket-sized 1.8 hamster-wheel…what could it cost???;p

Um…have you ever tried replacing that hamster-wheel? Besides, I suspect that your negligence may have caused damage beyond just the pump.

This is the second motor you’ve replaced in “as many vehicles”? I may have found the “root cause” of your problems…not paying attention to your vehicle’s needs and warning signs. In over 40 years of vehicle ownership I’ve never worn out an engine, even after 338,000 miles. Start by reading the owner’s manual and follow that up by establishing a relationship with a reputable independant shop.

yeah–I got into th courier biz at precisely th wrong time…and a reputable shop?puh-leeeze

The water pump drive on this motor is external, driven by the serpentine belt, and if it seized it would not pop the chain. However it does sound like it might have a popped chain. I’ve attached an exploded view drawing of your motor which should show you how easy it is to check for a popped chain. All you need to do is remove the Cyliner head Cover Sub Assembly and you can access the top of the chain. You’ll also be able to seeif the camshafts are turning when you turn the crank.

http://tijil.org/Scion_Docs/04_xB_Shop_Manuals/xB%20Repair%20Manuals/04%20xB%20Repair%20Manual/14%20-%20Engine%20Mechanical/charin%20sub%20assy/conponen.pdf

tsmb…I tell-ee thankee-sai;when I started this correspondance it was merely in hopes of allaying fears.Now that Ive been disabused of that silly line of thought here you come with the necessary template to proceed investigations here at home rather than draggin th poor boxie hither-n-yon to the various locals of the"reputable independant shop" variety.Just wanted some hint of knowledge to convey to the dealer’s mechs if a repair is all thats needed or if I need look further for the engines replacement.Dunno if Id reported it was purchased 1 year used from th local toyota dealer/HATED it when I got it for my g/f’s local runs,but since its th better choice for three 300 mile round trips every weekend,well,I have come to love it.Besides-turns out it really is a truck-the tires for the xB(15s) are found in the truck section.