Seeking your ideas for the future of the Car Talk Community!

I have encountered one minor glitch. Occasionally I would select sign in and get my information page instead of log in. I found that if I selected CarTalk home then selected a current discussion I was automatically logged in. I discovered that this only happened if I forgot to sign out and was automatically signed out. I now ensure that I sign out before exiting the site.

@Keith; had some good ideas about the agree and like buttons. They are really the same.
and it would be helpfull for the original poster if he could see who’s remedy for his problem was lked/agree’d with the most.

I also have the same issue with the “share” button , so Keith isn’t the only one. But as he said it’s easy enough to get rid of, so is it really a problem.

I too would like to know who an original poster is for a thread. Some people are having ongoing problems and sometimes you would like to follow them a little.
Or “oh crap Buggerboy posted another question…now what.”

As far as the color of the page numbers, why not a little line under the page number you are on. I’ve seen that a lot.

Don’t go overboard with change, you’ve got a nice great now.

Yosemite

I like having one button for agree and one for like. two different concepts. I can like a post and only agree with half of it, or I can agree with a post and not like it.

I think there should be a rude button, for when it s not quite abuse…

@wesw‌

I would get flagged with “rude” plenty of times

At least I’m willing to admit it

they need a hilarious button for me…

and a moron button…

Stick your foot in your mouth button . . .

combative button . . .

@db4690 I don’t see a need to overthink this. Have a section in the profile where we can fill out what we want others to know about ourselves. Transman could, for instance, mention that he makes a living working on transmissions. Or someone else could just put in what kind of car(s) they drive.

@shadowfax‌

I don’t think we need to have “a section in the profile where we can fill out what we want others to know about ourselves”

I don’t see any advantage to this

Maybe somebody would feel better if “the world” knew what they do for a living

Or perhaps somebody else would feel intimidated or out of place, because their credentials and background are completely different

I think our profile section already allows us to list car(s)

No, “like” and “agree” are not the same thing, and I like having both buttons. As far as recommended additions go, it would be nice to see whose comment someone is responding to without having to tag and/or quote someone. It would make posting on my phone a lot easier.

Another issue I noticed is that when I post from my iPhone, it doesn’t matter how I format my post, it appears as one long paragraph, even if I try to edit it on my computer later. I suppose that comes from having a separate “mobile” version of the site.

I think the old “credentials please” thread, by Honda blackbird, should be put back up. when I read what was there, I wanted to participate. peoples stories were interesting. maybe @Honda Blackbird would come back. he was pretty sharp…

I use both agree and like, as others posted. Keith says

Overall, I think it works pretty good, but there are a couple annoyances that I see. First is the share button, the slightest scan over the button and the window pops up. It is easier to get rid of now but it is still an annoyance.
I still am missing it, anyone else see the share button, or can point me in the right direction? I suggested it might be a browser or add on difference.

The share button is only on the thread starter (original post). It does not appear on the replies. It is one of the last things to load so if your read the post quick enough and have scrolled down the page, you could miss it. The problem is that it may not have loaded the image but the button is still there and if in the process of scrolling down, your cursor goes over the button, you get the pop up, even if popups are disabled on your computer.

One feature I like on other forums that is not here is the ability to see who started a thread before opening it. Similar to the “most recent” feature.

Well,are we going to have an energy and enviroment section?-Kevin

I hope not.

I’m leaning away from an energy & environment section for the reason I gave in the other thread. I don’t think there’s enough of it to merit its own section. If we were going to give something its own section based on sheer numbers alone, I think a section of all buying advice threads would get a fair amount of traffic. Not that I’m saying that’s going to happen – I’m thinking out loud.

Question for anybody - how do you browse the forum? Do you use Recent Discussions page, or do you navigate through the divisions? I’m closing this thread tomorrow and have to aggregate the suggestions over the weekend. I know I do things one way, but that doesn’t mean you all do.

I navigate through the divisions. Sometimes I’m interested in one over another, and have almost never bothered to read distracted driving.

I navigate through the divisions; generally the Repair & Maintenance and the General Discussion.
Seldom ever use the Recent Discussions or the Search features.

I use the “recent discussions” page to browse the forums. I never browse individual forums.

I too only ever use the “recent discussions” page/link to browse the forums.

Please bring back the credentials thread.
It was a place where contributors not only provided some of their technical background, but they often did it in a way where it conveyed bits-n-pieces of who they were, their character, and hobbies, etc. That “visual” into “who is the person behind the post” is important piece of maintaining respect for each others contributions.