Secret Tricks of Car Salesmen

mike in new haven, maybe he was a customer posing as a sales person.(lol)
in my opinion-for what it’s worth, the only mistake you made,
was that you stayed and talked to the guy
about 9 minutes and 30 seconds longer than you should have!
thanks deep plaid.

hello martin guitar , wow-good taste in guitar’s (none better)
tulip o’hare’s advice is great. i believe i’d do exactly what she said.
along with the local police, i’d also contact the sheriff department
in that county and file a formal report with them as well. then i’d set an appointment
with only the owner or dealer principal (not a manager)of the dealership. take your emails
and let him know you’ve contacted local authorities about filing possible criminal charges against his
sales person. that will stop that it all. and he will never retaliate. i would not lose a minutes sleep
worrying about that.
thanks for your input.
deep plaid

tulip- how are ya? you’ve given some great advice. if you or anyone is ever treated this way
don’t stand for it! turn them in to police right away! these are the people who give this business
a bad name.
thanks for your great advice.
deep plaid

why? why? as wise as you claim that you are about the car business.
and you don’t have a clue do you? you cannot figure this one out? hummmmm…
well i’m not surprised since you only bought 2 cars every 8-10 years. how could you possibly
know very much about the consumer’s side of the sales desk? now we’ve all got the real truth.
you are exposed! you truly don’t know much about the “buying” side of the car business either since you’eve only participated in 2 purchases every 8-10 years.

I hate to tell you this…but your customer is an IDIOT. Either that or you’re selling the WORSE cars made. Buying a car every year is just throwing money away. What the Ashtray is full??? And he did this because he liked you?? Does he have a favorite real estate agent he buys houses from every other year too???

Now let’s look at a couple of you misconceptions…Obviously LOGIC is not one of your strong points. Yes I only buy 2 cars every 8-10 years…But you made the assumption (obviously wrongly) that I only visit ONE dealership and spend 1 hour with the salesman and I’m off with a new car. Obviously you have no idea how to actually PURCHASE a car. Or you have the DUMBEST customers. You may know how to sell…but purchasing you haven’t a clue. When I bought my 4runner 2 years ago I spent about 2 months visiting different dealers and test driving different vehicles. I went to at least 10 different dealers and talked with 10 or MORE different salesmen. Spent a great deal of time on the internet researching. Buying a car is the second most expensive purchase you’ll make in your life. If your customers only spend 1 hour with you at your dealership and find the perfect car for them…GREAT…But MOST INTELLIGENT people will spend a great deal of time researching and finding the specific car for their needs.

i always made buying a car a pleasant experience for him.

You could make buying a car a GREAT experience for someone. So WHAT…Does that mean they are getting the BEST value for their money??? What about 2 years down the road and the owner has a problem…you going to still be there helping them out??? No wait…you’ll just be there to SELL them a new car!!! The ONLY way a salesman can make the buying experience GREAT for ME…is to meet my price for the vehicle I want…PERIOD…Anything else has NOTHING TO DO WITH BUYING A CAR. It’s all fluff. As I said before…the car salesman is NOT NEEDED. And I predict in 10 years they’ll be a dying breed. I surely don’t NEED a salesman. I just need someone to give me the keys and take my money…PERIOD. I don’t need a salesman to tell me what a great purchase I’m making…By the time I’m ready to buy I KNOW what I’m buying.

mike in new haven, maybe he was a customer posing as a sales person.(lol)

Nope he was a salesman…btw…NH stands for New Hampshire

was that you stayed and talked to the guy
about 9 minutes and 30 seconds longer than you should have!

I was actually there having some warranty work done on my wifes Accord. I was in the market for new vehicle so I stopped in the show room while waiting for the work on my the Accord to be done. I had to wait around anyways. If I wasn’t there for that I probably would have just called the guy and idiot and walked out of there. From my experience…MOST car salesman haven’t a clue of what they’re selling.

After reading this post…I have another question to ask…

So this customer that buys a new car from you almost every year…because he LIKES you…

Do you sell him the extended warranty too???

Several folks have shared their car buying horror stories-- here is mine (as Dave Berry used to say, ‘I’m not making this up’):

In 1985 with my 1 year old, I went shopping for a Toyota Minivan. Our small town dealer had given me a price and before the internet it wasn’t clear how good the deal was. So I decided to go to the ‘big city’ dealer in Sacramento who advertised that it was ‘worth the drive’.

When we got to the shop, all the salesman would talk about was payment. He assured me he was not allowed to discuss price. I got up and left. After putting my son in his car seat with the salesman still talking to me, I got in my car and closed the door. At that point four or so other salesmen surrounded my car and started slapping the car and shouting that ’ I’d be sorry.’

This was before the days of mobile phones. If it happened now, I’d just dial 911. With my son crying, I started the car, put it in reverse and slowly backed out. The salesmen behind me scattered and I escaped.

I went straight home and bought the car locally.

I still don’t know how they would expect this strategy to work, and I’ve never heard of anyone else who was treated that way.

no, their is no way they would have gained anything by these type of actions.
you did the correct thing.
especially buying that toyota mini van somewhere else.
the only thing i would have done different…
is to drive back by there in your new van and wave at all of those losers.
thanks,
deep plaid

Many (like 60?) years ago there was a doctor who was something of a local legend. He had turned a one man office in a one horse (which probably had pulled his buggy at some point) town into a clinic often called the Mayo Clinic of the Plains. He had several doctors on staff. The old doctor never dressed up. Wore bib overalls and Li’l Abner boots everywhere he went. He went to the “big city’s” Cadillac dealer, walked in, and looked over several new Caddies. NO ONE came up to see if they could help. The salesmen figured he didn’t have a dime to his name.

Soooo, he walked across the street to the Packard dealer. They were only too happy to sell him six new Packards for Christmas presents for each of the docs on his hospital’s staff. He arranged to have them delivered to their new owners at their annual Christmas party, BUT FIRST he told the Packard dealer to drive all of them around the block and park them in a line in front of the Cadillac dealer. Then the Packard dealer himself went inside and told the Caddie guys just what they’d missed out on.

http://litmed.med.nyu.edu/Annotation?action=view&annid=1269

Deep Plad,

The lease on my 2005 Toyota Tundra will end in August. I leased it from a dealership in Salt Lake City, Utah and have since moved to Las Vegas. Toyota Financial told me that it is best to buy it out from the dealership that sold it to me but I could buy it out at any dealership. The residual is $21,000

My question is:

-What do I need to know before I go into the dealership
-Is there things I need to negociate or do I just go in and work with the finance manager?
-Is it truly better to go to the original dealership, which is 7 hours away?
-Any other pointers?

Thank You

Which version of the truck is it?if it’s the limited 4door 4wd with the v8, then you’re not too far upside down. IF you got one with a v6, then you’re about 10 grand upside down.
http://www.edmunds.com/toyota/tundra/2005/index.html

You’d be better off using that $21k finance for something better, and NOT a lease

It is the 4WD Double Cab Limited with the V8. It has every option except for Navagation. I want to keep it because I have personally maintained the truck and it has low miles (Just over 30,000). The prices for similiar trucks in the area are $23-$25K

I trust you aren’t one of those people complaining about gas prices. How long do you plan to keep it? It’s already 4 years old, and you’re looking at another 5 year loan, if not more. It’ll be 9~10 years old before it’s totally paid for.

The old doctor never dressed up. Wore bib overalls and Li’l Abner boots everywhere he went. He went to the “big city’s” Cadillac dealer, walked in, and looked over several new Caddies. NO ONE came up to see if they could help. The salesmen figured he didn’t have a dime to his name.

A guy I worked with was very very young looking. At 23 he didn’t even shave and looked like he was 14. So after just finishing up his MS in Physics at MIT he landed a nice job in Aerospace research. Went to buy his first car and the salesman he finally got to talk with him told him to come back with his parents. He walked out and bought from another dealer 5 miles away.

The truck is my wife’s and she drives it on the weekdays to do errands and we drive it on the weekends. So we refuel it once every two weeks or so. Prior to leasing this, I have averaged 7-8 years of ownership before I sell. I have nothing against leasing, but I probably wouldn’t do it again. I figure that since the residual is around what we would be spending for a 3-4 year old used SUV, why not just buy out this where I know the history and maintenance.

actually i do not have a lot of experience to share on the subject of leasing. sound like bscar may be
the man who can give us some answers on the subject of lease. so, i’ll bow out of this topic and let
others take over who have a greater knowledge of leasing than myself. however, i will tell you to read all the fine print carefully before you sign a lease- or any contract
for that matter, but especially a lease. thanks for your questions.
deep plaid

I’ve learned a lot by just visiting this forum regularly. But even before I did, I knew leasing was a bad idea.
Some people like the idea of driving a new car every couple years, but what do you have to show for all that money you’ve paid over that time? A new car? But with more payments.

I don’t know if it is coincidence, but everytime I go to a Toyota dealership or a Chevy dealership they don’t play games trying to jack up the price with down and monthly payments, or with add-ons. I’ve encountered this in many states.

It’s probably just the Chevy or Toyota dealership in your area. It really has NOTHING to do with the manufacturer. One of the WORSE dealers in my area owns a Toyota, Chevy, Chrysler, Nissan, GMC.

Hi Frank! You helped me buy a Honda a while back (thanks again). I had a question that may be too remote, so please feel free to disregard it. When I asked about servicing, and explained to the salesperson that I don’t drive a car as much as ‘normal’ people do, she said I should then bring it in every three months for an oil change. That contradicts everything I’ve read.

So my question is, do salespeople give false info to buyers to drum up business for the service department?

Your information and advice continues to help us all. Big thanks.
Whitmore