Rust in Engine room

Hello,
I am considering purchasing a used car, 2008 Chrysler Town & Country(58K miles).
But I saw some rusted part in the engine room. After I read this question/answers(link), it seems like the exhaust manifold, and normal situation. But I’m not sure whether it is an exhaust manifold, so may I ask your opinion if this rust is acceptable?
I attached two pictures below.

Thanks in advance, and please excuse my poor English, since I am an international student came the last year.

Yes, for a ten year old car this is perfectly normal. I would suggest that prior to committing to the purchase you have it inspected. It’s always worth it spending ~$100 to have a professional take a look. Not a 100% guarantee but it sure helps.

3 Likes

The rust looks normal for a car this age.
However you absolutely should have a reputable shop give it a thorough going-over before making any agreements. The real problems are often not obvious. It’ll cost you an hour’s shop time, but it’s well worth it.

2 Likes

I just sold a 2005 Town and Country that had more rust than that and it was in great shape and had a lot of miles left on it. Do not worry too much about that rust, it is normal. I would strongly recommend that you pay a mechanic to check the car out before you buy it. It will cost you around $100, but will be the best money you can spend. They will spot a problem you may miss. If you do not know a mechanic, check out the link at the top ‘Mechanics Files’ to find one.

2 Likes

Thanks for all of your kind answers. I will make it inspected by a mechanic before making a deal.
Have a great day!

You might want to call it the engine compartment.

;-]

The rust to look for is on the strut towers on the left and right sides of the engine compartment. It has to be kind of ugly to make a difference. The rust you found is nothing and normal.

2 Likes

It’s normal.

Chrysler vans were known for rust issues on chassis. Yes top of strut towers too. What state are you in? Does van have trailer hitch?

For a second, I thought this was Ship Talk…

Completely normal amount of rust as others have said.

1 Like

What’s you talk’n about? I have engine rooms in my cars, just ahead of the bridge and behind the bow sprit! :wink:
CSA

Some manufactures use both terms;

When I first read “engine room” I thought we had a sailor. Cool! It would have been confirmed if they made a mistake followed by “belay that”.