Running close to empty will ruin fuel pump?

Just an addendum about why the pumps are mounted in the tank. It’s for sound deadening purposes because no matter how quiet and unobtrusive an externally mounted pump may be there will be X number of people who will complain about a subtle whine or humming sound; even if they have to get out of the car and stick their head near the ground to hear it.

I’ve even heard one guy stating that he wanted the noise stopped or he wasn’t going to make any more car payments on his less than 500 miles new vehicle.

I don’t think that condensation is as big of an issue now that the fuel systems are mostly sealed.

Urban legend? Well, then the FAA crash data logs must be fabricated because it came directly from them. Last time I even cited the actual article but I’m not going throuh that again because it’s been too long now and it appears it would be wasted effort.

Of course it’s not supposed to be done, that’s the whole point!!! If an aircraft pump can fail from it, you think a $130 pump from autozone is more robust than an aircraft part???

Perhaps it wasn’t clear, the pump showed signs of REPEATED stress from running LOW, not OUT. Nice pictures of the pump parts too.

Do and believe what you will, I only post a warning for those that might take heed.