Replace my timing belt?

I have a 2004 Honda Pilot that has 104295 miles on it. I’ve owned it all it’s life and have had all of the routine maintenance done when it’s supposed to be done. Honda recommends replacing the timing belt at 105k, and I just got the quite from the dealer-$995!!! I love my car and want to keep it for as long as possible-we’ve been very good to each other. Do I replace the timing belt or not? What are the chances of anything really going wrong with it?

Not changing the belt is foolhardy and could easily result in a several thousand dollar repair bill should it break. 105k is about the max mileage the belts are rated for. It’s considered a normal maintence item. Wtht that said, shop around some independent shops, they will likely be lower in price than dealership. You’re also going to want to replace the waterpump as well, since the labor involved is the same as the timing belt job.

“Do I replace the timing belt or not?”

Only if you want to prevent the engine from self-destructing without warning.

“What are the chances of anything really going wrong with it?”

Nobody can give you mathematical odds of exactly when the timing belt will snap, but when it does–without any warning–it will cause pistons and valves to collide, thus rendering the engine useless without about $2,000.-$3,000. worth of repairs in addition to the cost of the timing belt.

If you are a gambler by nature, and if you have the ability to pay a few thousand dollars extra for repairs when the inevitable happens, then I guess that it would be fine to skip this service that is listed in the Honda Maintenance Schedule. Personally, I would consider that to be a very poor decision, but the decision is yours to make.

Incidentally, timing belts rarely snap while the car is sitting in your driveway or in another convenient location, so you also have to be prepared for this event to take place while you are in the passing lane of an expressway, with semi-trailers all around you. When the belt snaps and you lose all engine power, your power steering, and the power assist for your brakes, you will wish that you had been proactive and had replaced the timing belt on schedule.

I’m pretty sure this is an interference engine. If it breaks…it could DESTROY your engine. So if you plan on keeping it, then get it replaced.

As for the price…find a good independent. It should be a LOT cheaper. No need to go to the dealer for that.

It’s absolutely essential that you have the timing belt replaced. If the belt breaks the engine will be severely damaged.

Find an independent mechanic and save some money. You don’t need to pay a Honda dealer for this.

Have a new water pump installed at the same time. Because it’s the right thing to do.

Then drive your Pilot another 105K miles.

Thanks all for your advice! I did make the appointment with the dealer already, but I am going to shop around for a bit to see what kind of a deal I can get elsewhere. I definitely want to drive my car another 105K or more, she’s been great to me, so I should do the right thing.

I know a few people who took the no change route with Honda, Subaru, VW (105k interval belts). The two Honda’s made it to 140k, 150k with snapped belt(company cars). The Subaru was traded off at 145k no issues and VW snapped at 150k. I do know someone also with a Honda Ody. (similar engine) only made it 90k with a 105k belt. Honda took some mercy and paid part of repair.

All snapped belts led to $3k-$4k estimates to repair damaged engine. One repaired Honda still is “not right” after the extensive repairs.

You choose. If you were trading off in 20-30k miles you could chance it with odds stacked mostly against you.

Honda requires some specialized tools for replacing the timing belt so either have the dealer do it or a mechanic that has lots of Honda experience and the proper tools.

Check the dealers quote, that price should include the water pump, balance shaft belt if any, and new oil seals for the crank and cam(s), new coolant and maybe even an oil change. If you get a quote from another shop, make sure all those things are included too so you are comparing like services.

find out if it’s a “free running motor” some cars havem some don’t it means if the timing belt breaks on a free one the valves won’t bash into the pistons if it is not one you will destroy the motor

Your engine is an interference type. Change the timing belt and water pump like some suggested before you find you have to replace the engine too. This is a no brainer.

would u mind me asking u how u found out this information cause i may use it in the future i actually junked a 85 toyota cause the timing chain snapped and nobody could tell me if it was a what i was told called a free running motor well and the crank bolt was seized up

A lot of people seem to use the Gates web site as a reference.

Yes, it’s www.gates.com http://www.gates.com/part_locator/index.cfm?location_id=3598

Hellokit posted the correct site.

read this web site and decide if it is worth the chance…