Nitrogen filled tires? Pros and cons

I want a flux capacitor.

Special order

Can I get a pereptual motion machine in a cabriolet?

Airplanes use N2 IN LANDING GEAR STRUTS. They can be inflated with O2 when Nitrogen “is not readily available”. The biggie here is the danger of an accident with wheel halves separating due to overinflation (A 727s MLG tires use over 200 psi)

When I take my Piper Navajo in for servicing, the A&P uses N2 in the struts, and shop air in the tires. If it’s good enough for a 90 knot landing, it’s good enough in my Toyotad.

Tom

Former B707/720 and B727 line pilot

OOps make that read “they can be inflated with shop air” when N2 is not available.
Inflatting with pure o2 not recommended. (Keeps temperatures a little ahem lower!!)

Hey, bloody_knuckles, can you sell me a left-handed monkey wrench? Got one in stock or is that special order? I also need a spin-on oil filter for a Briggs & Stratton lawnmower engine (4hp) and a set of spark plugs for a Cummins diesel engine (6cyl). I can hardly wait to check out some ocean front real estate in AZ.

Can I get a pereptual motion machine in a cabriolet?

I don’t think you can fit it in unless you remove the back seats.

I can do that. Can I expect it in 7-10 days?

I’ve mentioned this before, but it is worth repeating.

When they fill race car tires with nitrogen, they have two valves stems per rim, one for sucking the air out, and the other for injecting nitrogen. Unless your car has race rims, it only has one valve stem, so when someone tries to sell me nitrogen, I ask, “How will you get all the air out before you fill it up with nitrogen?”

“How will you get all the air out before you fill it up with nitrogen?”

Some machines will pull a vacuum on the tire before inflating it with nitrogen. No comment on how effective it is.

As someone pointed out a few years ago, even if you start out with 100% N2 in your tires, oxygen will slowly migrate into the tire (if the rubber lets it migrate, if it doesn’t there was no need for pure N2 in the first place). It’ll equilibrate when the ‘partial pressure’ of O2 inside the tire = the partial pressure outside the tire, about 3 psia. 3/45 psia is about 7% O2.

The only problem I have with nitrogen is I live in a rural town and only1 of the few tire shops in town services nitrogen filled tires. There’s no Nissan dealership in town, just a ford and toyota dealership and they prefer not taking care of anything other than fords and toyotas.

Well, since there’s no need for nitrogen, you don’t need to worry about who sells it.

This highlights another problem with nitrogen - once somebody has those green caps, they might wait to check their tires until they find a nitrogen seller. Meanwhile, the tires are under inflated…not good.

“How will you get all the air out before you fill it up with nitrogen?”

I asked this once. "Well since oxygen seeps out of the tire and nitrogen doesn’t, the nitrogen forces the oxygen out of the tire when we’re filling it, so you end up with pure nitrogen.

Pure BS, I think he meant :wink:

Yep, it’s a BS product, sold by BS people, to naive customers.

Katidid, you might as well switch back to inflating your tires with regular old-fashioned air as all of us here do. Air consists of 78% nitrogen and there is no advantage to using a higher concentration. None.

Yeah I’ve considered that…since everytime the weather gets cold my tire pressor sensor light goes on. Drives me nuts!

http://www.barrystiretech.com/nitrogeninflation.html