Nice car

^
Bing, a re-reading of your history books is in order, as you are apparently confusing President Herbert Hoover (FDR’s predecessor) with J. Edgar Hoover (the long-serving megalomaniac who ran the FBI for many decades, and who denied that The Mafia existed).

They were different (unrelated) people with totally different resumes!

“Bing, a re-reading of your history books is in order, as you are apparently confusing President Herbert Hoover . . .”

Ah yes, my error in reading. I apologize. I would fully agree with you on J Edgar but he did have good taste in dresses.

^
Yes, but IMHO the thought of somebody who resembled Broderick Crawford wearing a fetching frock is… just a bit much to contemplate.

“Jedgar” spent most of his vacation time (with the Ass’t Director of the FBI) in Miami Beach, where the only black FBI agent in the '50s was assigned as his driver. The poor agent’s problem was that, if Jedgar’s Caddy stalled, he got into trouble.

That car was used only sporadically, and because Jedgar monitored the odometer carefully, it wasn’t possible to take the car out for needed exercise during the periods between Jedgar’s visits. Apparently Jedgar thought that the car could sit for weeks and months at a time, without being used and without being serviced, but that it should perform flawlessly when he was there to use it.

I used to really enjoy watching Broderick Crawford in “Highway Patrol” as a kid. I never understood though why he always drove way over the center line on the highway. Not just a little over the center but more like driving down the middle of the road and weaving a little. Maybe like me he was a little concerned about animals coming out from the road side. Then there was Sheriff of Cochise. Whatever happened to all those good shows?

@db4690 does that not seem a strange choice given tire ratings for speed? L means 75 mph t means 118 mph, confusing!

LT235/85R16

“I used to really enjoy watching Broderick Crawford in “Highway Patrol” as a kid”

As did I !
Little did I know at the time that the cars being used on that program–early-mid '50s Buicks–had really lousy brakes and pathetic handling, and would likely have been among the last makes to be considered for that type of service by a real police department.

Actually, the California Highway Patrol did use Buicks for one year–1955. These 1955 models were 2 door Century models with a manual 3 speed column shift transmission. The 2 door Century post sedan was not available to the public. This model was only available in the Special model. However, the Century and Special shared the same chassis. The Special had the 264 cubic inch nailhead V8 while the Century 322 version of that engine. I will agree that the. Buick wasn’t the best handling car, although the suspension may have been beefed up for the specially built police vehicles. Sometime in the 1950s, Buick had finned front brake drums that dissipated the best more quickly and reduced fade. However, I think this came after 1955. The only U.S. car that had disk brakes back then was the Crosley which was discontinued in 1952. I doubt that it would have been a great car for police service. For regular stock production cars, the Chevrolet, Pontiac or Oldsmobile handled better than the Buick. I owned a 1954 Buick which was.quite similar to the 1955 Buick and a 1955 Pontiac. The Pontiac had much better handling than the Buick, but the Buick had much better acceleration and a higher top speed. 1955 was the first year of the V8 in the Pontiac and the engine had some problems
The V8 Buick came out in 1953 and the problems were worked out by 1955. I liked the Pontiac, but I had so many problems I swapped it for the 1954 Buick. Both my 1954 Buick and 1955 Pontiac had manual transmissions. The Buicks were used by the California Highway Patrol for only one year–1955.

To be authentic Broderick Crawford, in the Highway Patrol TV series drove a Buick, but I don’t remember if it was a two door or four door.

Thanks for the lesson. Even as a kid I thought it was unusual for patrol cars to be Buicks. Usually they were plain Fords or Chevs (or Desoto or Chrysler for Sheriff of Cochise). So I just thought the Buick was a step up allowed only for commanders or something. Unusual that a squad car would be a 2 door though which would make transporting folks to jail a little harder.

I just don’t remember what was used around here in 55 (I was only 7 or 8 then) but I’m thinking Fords, but they had a tendency to move the business around from year to year. I know in the 60’s Dodge was a good local patrol car.

Barkydog: I think “LT” stands for Light Truck.

The 55 Buick was the fastest American car in acceleration and one of the fastest overall. Only the Chrysler 300 topped it at high speeds. One one the Daytona 500 but was disqualified for using unapproved connecting rods. In 56 GM stopped supporting racing and put hydraulic lifters and milder cams in the cars and softened the suspension. Not the first time Buick built hotrods, the 38-41 Buick Centurys with the two 2-barrel carbs were the hottest cars of their time. I know the reference books say that was a one year only option but they are wrong, we owned a 41 Century with the Compound Carburetor option and I knew someone with a 38.

As far as disc brakes, they were on the 51 Chrysler Imperial but they were nothing like todays disc brakes. They resembled a clutch and flywheel.
Speaking of Imperials I saw a 54 at a car show this summer. It had an V-twin a/c compressor that looked like it should have been powering a motorcycle,