My car is in great shape. Want insurance Co to take back salvage tagging of my car

HUH…What you’ve said so for is completely opposite. So far what you’ve said doesn’t make sense. Something is very very wrong with this picture. It makes no sense for an insurance company to pay more out on a cash settlement then to have the vehicle fixed…You’re not telling us everything…or you just don’t have the facts straight.

1 Like

Somehow you seem to rather blame me for this situation than the insurance company and the party that rear ended me.

That is ok. I can only share my experience.

Once again

1. August 2015 rear ended by woman using a cell phone

2. Farmers insurance appraises repair and claims repair to cost 8.5K

3). I Demand my car get repaired. I did not want any money, but insurance Co did not want to and offered 6K

1. I refused to accept and advised insurance Co I was to keep car at home until court date. Injury case with attorney moving along

2. Early August 2016 Farmers calls me. They claim to have a different appraisal Co and new offer of $12.900 on table.

6). Since cars like mine with low miles and good care go for around 16K I asked fir a car instead of money. You purchase the car I tell the insurance rep. He advises to take money and fix car.

7). A year has passed. I accept offer and repair car.
I was charged $900 for keeping the car so I received a little over 12K

Hard to believe ? Short of posting the documents which I can not do since my case for injuries is still moving along, this is what happened.

Perhaps they took into account the year that went through I do not think a judge would appreciate that. If that fact compelled them to offer the 12K I do not know. Reason why this companies are not trustworthy.

Have a nice day.

The accident record is tied up to the VIN number.

So no matter registration in another state the record would follow car.

I would think only a fraudulent VIN number swap would hide the record away

Have a nice day.

I never wanted to argue.

I wanted to share my experience and exchange points of view.

Contention and rebuttal are part of healthy debates. But apparently to some, a rebuttal amounts to arguing and fighting.

Hence their hurtful and vilified replies.

It bothers none to me it is those not used to debating who loose their composure

Have a nice day.

No . . . there are ways to wash a title in other states WITHOUT a number swap

People do it and pat themselves on the back

I’m not saying it’s necessarily the moral thing to do . . . I personally wouldn’t do it

But there ARE people who do it and sleep well at night

For the record and anybody who’s reading this . . . I AM NOT RECOMMENDING YOU WASH THE TITLE OUT OF STATE

I am just saying it can be done . . . I don’t even know the details, because, as I said, I have no intention of ever doing such a thing

You guys ever wonder why your insurance rates are so high? Now in addition to milking the system for the car, we have a personal injury to also pay out on. My guess is at least in the 50K range for pain and suffering, loss of income, and medical expenses.

1 Like

The thought of title washing came to my mind on the first day this post started. However, the OP is self-righteous about being honest, doing the right thing, etc so I refrained from mentioning it.
I’m sure the OP will never consider doing this as it not on the up and up…

Milking ?

Hope this does not happen to you ever

Have a nice day.

Well yeah it did. I collected the money, bought the car back, fixed the damage, and went to Europe on the balance. Took about 30 days and no one had a problem. Never even had to call the Governor.

Count your blessings and go on with life!

So much round and round, good luck Jamie. Thanks for future updates.

You can’t make a demand. If the repair estimate exceeds the value of the car then the insurance company will total it…plain and simle

This doesn’t pass the smell test. Insurance companies don’t use an appraiser to get the value of your car. They use the already established appraisers from NADA or Kelly Blue Book. Most use NADA. If the NADA says your vehicle is worth $8,000 - then that’s what it’s worth and not much you can do. There is a little wiggle room…but I’ve never seen or heard of a 50% variance.

Something is missing…or getting lost inn the translation.

State Farm uses a company called AutoSource to determine car value.

Then. You are sharing my surprise. Welcome to the case.

Have a nice day.

It’s a bit more complicated than that:

Some food for thought here. Let’s assume the state of CA decides to go to what could be considered Insurance Anarchy in which the consumers call all the shots and decide if a car is a total or not.

The consumer is in the market for another car and finds a nice one at a good price with a clean, clear title. A year or so goes by and one day while tooling down the freeway there’s a loud crack and (luckily) the car rolls to the shoulder.
Once towed in it’s discovered that car has been a wasted wreck in the past and was shoddily welded back together.
At some point the crap welds gave up and that leads to the point we’re at.

So I ask the OP. You’re the buyer of that car. Are you going to be upset that someone got a salvage title reversed (won’t happen) or washed the title and sold you junk? This is exactly what you’re asking for.

(The above example is not a fairy tale either. I worked for one dealer who took in 2 cars like that in one month in trade. The boss was a decent guy and bought those cars back on the spot when these serious issues were discovered.
One of those cars had a measly 3k miles on it with a clean title and it was found that the car was actually 2 cars welded into one at the firewall.)

"it was found that the car was actually 2 cars welded into one at the firewall"
Must have been a real “clip joint”. Sorry, couldn’t resist. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

For the record, it was estimated that tens of thousands of titles of flooded cars were “washed” after Hurricane Sandy. It happens after every natural disaster.

That example is valid provided the vehicle in quedtion had serious damage

There are cases were a car does nit have structural damage. Say a bad dent , but a dent that is repaired.

No structural damages.

Have a nice day.

Interesting. But going overboard.

Having vehicles go through flood and heavy situations is on itself a different topic

Have a nice day.

I have State Farm. are you sure the appraiser wasn’t to access the damage???