Moving to Colorado-When to buy, what to buy

@twotone And don’t forget the heavy duty battery, and check you coolant for -40F.

When you move from Florida to Colorado, you probably need a few things:

-Visine … lots of Visine
-Windshield washer fluid that is made for colder climates - The stuff we use in Florida will easily freeze in Colorado.
-If you have a dying battery, the cold will show you that you need a new one. Heat is harder on batteries than cold, but the cold makes a battery show its age.
-If you haven’t drained and refilled the coolant in more than 2 years, have it done as soon as you get to Colorado.
-Winter tires … perhaps. If you live where the roads don’t get plowed diligently, it might be a good idea to get a set of steel rims and winter tires to swap in and out as needed. “All season” tires are really “three season” tires.

If you have these things, I doubt you’ll need a different car.

Take the Chevy to Colorado. You’ll be fine. I’ve driven some rutted CO back roads, not even in Rand McNally’s atlas, in a RWD BMW. You can buy an AWD vehicle there easier than you can in Florida too, as there are more on the market.

Quoting @jtsanders “While Kansas City’s altitude is about 700 feet, Western Kansas is almost a mile high.”

I’ve heard Kansas described as “Flat as a pancake”. That would be one very lopsided pancake. The lowest point is 679’ ASL where the Verdigris River enters Oklahoma. The highest is “Mount Sunflower” near the Colorado border at 4039 ASL. As mountains go, it’s a bit of a joke. https://www.google.com/maps/@39.021833,-102.037166,3a,75y,90t/data=!3m5!1e2!3m3!1s52815899!2e1!3e10?hl=en

Mount Sunflower is 800 feet taller than the highest peak in Maryland. Your point about Mt Sunflower was spoken like a true westerner. But my point was just that as you go from east to west in the Great Plains the altitude increases even though there are still great expanses of plains. Denver is still on the plains ant it is a full mile high.

With that gradual slope west to east, seems like Kansas would be a great state for skateboarders! :wink:

All the skateboarders I’ve known would find Kansas way too flat. The total elevation change is meaningful, but a few thousand feet over several hundred miles is pretty close to level. Nah, the skateboarders like real hills. Used to see plenty of guys with skateboards here in San Francisco, but few can afford to live here now.

Thanks for all the input - and geography lessons! I really appreciate you all taking the time to respond… My chevy is heading west…and north of course…