More Civic '08 TPMS

On this thread you advised that tire sensor(s) should be replaced:

Daughter took the car to her regular chain tire store for oil change and for advice on the sensor(s). (They treat her right, and have been reliable. and she keeps an eye on oil level and tire pressure.) they diagnosed a single bad sensor. She had them replace it, but there was some issue about resetting it (second hand info here; not clear), and the store did not charge her. Hard to believe, and I can’t see any difference from the outside (no surprise), but the invoice really says “TPMS service”, with no charge. They suggested she take it to a dealer to get reset.

Internet search indicates that you really do need special tools (electronic) to reset the system after changing a sensor. Is that right?

If so, we will check with our trusted independent mechanic, or go to a dealer, depending on the cost/convenience trade-off.

Thanks again.

All I can say is that Japanese tpms is often harder to deal with and reinitialize, versus the more common Chevy and Ford, to cite some examples

The procedures for Japanese vehicles tend to be more complex, and involve more high level tools

I may be wrong, but I believe it’s necessary to have a scan tool capable of communicating with the tpms module, if you want to reinitialize tpms on this vehicle

Or at the very least, a tpms tool which is also capable of that communication. many are not

My Ford required I buy a $50 fob that is used to initialize the TPMS sensors. GM cars don’t need this because the procedure is in the owners manual.

This forum lists TPMS FAQ’s and states that you must go to the dealer to reset the TPMS sensors at a cost of about $100

http://www.8thcivic.com/forums/wheel-tire-upgrades/123148-faq-tire-pressure-monitoring-system-tpms.html

Tester

Thanks for the tips.

Tester – I had found that video (and a few links to similar discussions). They are talking about the “low tyre pressure” warning light being stuck on. My problem is how to get the System to recognize the new sensor.