Mecum Auction

My wife has personalized plates which were transferred from her Sentra to her new Mazda. The downside of this is that some people here are on their 4th or 5th car with the same plates and they are so faded as to be almost unreadable. makes it hard for the cops.

I dunno, ASE, I just find it weird that a state would allow people to drive around without a license plate of some kind to track down. I’d never heard of it before. If a cop were behind the car and wondered if the car was stolen, what would he call in to check the car out? In a hit and run, what would the victim write down for the cops to track down?

@“the same mountainbike” We recently sold some work vehicles at an auction, 90’s vintage some run more than others. As is no guarantees bidder encouraged to pre-inspect vehicles. One guy bought 4, called the auction company, hey the dump truck does not have a tailgate, and another vehicle died 4 times on the 45 mile trip to our shop, and we got pulled over for not having plates! Auction site says not my problem. Calls our shop mechanic, sorry once it is off our lot not my problem. One truck they bought no brakes due to rusted lines, they drove it off anyway.
sheesh.

I dunno, ASE, I just find it weird that a state would allow people to drive around without a license plate of some kind to track down. I’d never heard of it before. If a cop were behind the car and wondered if the car was stolen, what would he call in to check the car out? In a hit and run, what would the victim write down for the cops to track down

There’s a large paper tag, about the size of a license plate, that’s taped to the inside of the rear window, that anyone can (is supposed to?) see. Instead of a regular plate number like “ABC1234” it’s just got a temporary number “9876543” and the expiration date (30 days) printed on it. It’s just as easily traced. Sure, people have swapped those from one car to another, but they do that with actual plates as well.

I still think plates should stay with cars and not with people.

In Maryland, nobody keeps plates anymore. They say it is to make sure that all vehicles have insurance. Since we are charged for new registration when we buy another vehicle anyway, I think I believe it.

Right, so it has a temp tag. Point was, no states let folks drive without something.

ASE, that’s a temporary plate. California requires nothing, nada, zip, no number displayed in any manner whatsoever.

Texases, that’s what I always though too… but it apparently ain’t so. CA requires nothing whatsoever.

Guys, I’ve been purchasing and registering cars for over 45 years. I’m familiar with temporary plates.

Quoting @bing

“Sure they’re fast and handle well”
Well, American muscle cars may be fast, but their handing usually leaves a lot to be desired. Many still had four wheel drum brakes, and most had bias ply tires when new.

Quoting @asemaster

“What good does it do to have license plates without a car or a car without a license plate?”
The plates can either be registered to the next car, or turned in for a refund of the pro-rated cost of the tag and any other annual taxes.

I guess it’s all in what you’re used to.

It makes more sense to me, to keep my tags rather than sell a car with new tags, or for less with 11 month old ones. It levels the playing field for the buyer too, since they know they will be paying for new tags.

Quoting @jtsanders

“In Maryland, nobody keeps plates anymore. They say it is to make sure that all vehicles have insurance. Since we are charged for new registration when we buy another vehicle anyway, I think I believe it.”

Once the car is gone from the seller's driveway with their tag on it, what's to keep them from cancelling the insurance? What if the insurance company doesn't want to insure the buyer because he's a 17 year old male with a brand new driver's license?
California requires nothing, nada, zip, no number displayed in any manner whatsoever.

That is amazing…in the most regulated state in the nation…

A permit is required to operate an unregistered vehicle in the state of California.

The department may issue a no fee Vehicle Moving Permit (REG 172) valid for one day only for movement of a vehicle in accordance with CVC §§4002 and 11716.

Registration is not required for a vehicle moved or operated under a permit issued by the department.
A no-fee permit may be issued only to the owner or an agent acting with the knowledge and consent of the owner.
The permit must be obtained from DMV before the vehicle is moved.

In Nevada a vehicle can be operated without a license plate when a DMV temporary permit is displayed in the windshield for private sale or dealer provided permit in the license plate location.

Insightful, that amazed me too.
A one day permit issued to a driver to move an unregistered vehicle is not the same as a temporary registration issued for a vehicle. No temporary registration of any kind for the vehicle exists in CA.

Nevada has apparently done some research and apparently all he could find was the one day permit. And that’s issued to the driver, not the car.

Probably about 25 years ago now, WI used to allow you to simply place a sign on/in the car that said “License Applied For”. If you got pulled over you had to produce the paperwork but no temp tags issued. As one might expect, some people just continued to drive without actually registering the car. It got pretty bad that at one point they were just putting a cardboard sign in the rear window that had LAF on it. It came to a head and a local news outfit had a headline story about it titled- LAFing at the law

I bought a car from a private seller in Wisconsin once and as soon as I got my Minnesota plates, I had to ship the old Wisconsin plates back to the guy. It was strange to me but he explained he could use them on another car.

If my plates are still good…when I buy a new car I just transfer my plates over to the new car.

I transfer my plates, however since the plates are registered to a different vehicle we do get temporary paper plates registered to the new vehicle for use until the registration transfer is made.

Oregon is the same. A new car gets 4 years registration. After that it is 2 years. A private seller can keep their “vanity” plates. I have only had that happen once. The new plates were an extra $3. Prisoners work cheap. Of course this was 1971 when registration was still $20 for 2 years. It is currently $86 for 2 years. This pretty much matches inflation. When buying a used car the plate stickers and registration have always been good until they expire. A title from a private seller has to be transferred within 30 days or you could be fined $50. Used car dealers who are licensed are allowed to keep the title un-transferred until the vehicle is sold. No safety inspection. emission inspection in 2 counties. I realize this may seem weird to those in more restrictive states. In the Western states we are to busy fighting the savage Indians to worry about these trivial things. Wink,Wink.

I’m guessing we are not the only ones annoyed by Mecum’s audio mixing. I have watched a couple auctions recently and the problem has been corrected.