Lincoln heater blower motor quit (2001) towncar

all digital symbols work but fan does not come on fan speed indicator works but no fan

fuses ok, wire connections ok

If the previous mentioned things are ok I suggest you then check to see if power is getting to the motor. If it isn’t, then the blower relay may be the problem of the variable speed controller may be open electrically.

Cougar, thanks for input, where would I find the relay ?

He was giving generic advise. There is no relay to find on your car. The only blower related relay is the hi-speed relay in the speed control assembly. Your problem will either be the speed control assembly, or the blower motor itself. The motor is the most likely, because usually with the speed controller fails, you still have the high-speed setting working.

Given the age of the car the blower motor itself could be faulty. This is not a difficult repair and the blower is located behind the glove box. Care must be used when working around the airbag system.
If the car has Electronic Automatic Temperature Control then the problem could be in the EATC control head or the blower motor control module, with the latter being near the blower motor I believe.

If the car has EATC then it’s possible to have the EATC dash unit scan itself. Something MAY show up there, depending on the problem.
If the car has EATC, make sure the cabin interior is around 40-90 degrees inside and press the OFF and FLOOR buttons at the same time. Very quickly press the AUTOMATIC button afterwards. There will be 20-30 seconds of gibberish followed by code numbers if they exist. To clear the system press the DEFROST button.

All Lincoln Towncars (from at least the 90’s and on up) have EATC.

ok4450 Thanks for the responce. From another website I found that there be as many as 25 different codes which could show up. Do you know if one of these codes will indicate a blower motor problem? Do you know where I can find a description of what the code number mean? Thanks Fred

There are no codes for blower motor failure. There are some codes for speed controller failure, although you have to do more troubleshooting to then determine if the problem is really the speed control, the wiring, or the ETAC itself. I still say you best bet is to first check for voltage at the blower motor. If you have voltage there, and the blower isn’t [blowing], then the problem is the blower motor. Don’t get caught up in ETAC error codes before you do this. (Some years even present error codes that aren’t real. The specific year factory manual in those cases tells you which codes to ignore. I don’t think yours is one of those cases, but I just want to point out that you could get into needless complications.)

There a bit of info here.
http://www.aircondition.com/dsmobileac/eatc.html

It’s my understanding that sometimes “false codes” may be present (even from the factory) so any code number should be carefully thought out.
There are various sensors involved in the blower operation and it could be one of these sensors that is causing the blower not to operate.

The system is a bit complicated since there’s a control module involved. One of the first things I would examine would be the connector plug at the blower. With a test light or VOM it could be determined if power is actually being delivered to the blower. If it is, then the blower is faulty, If not, then it gets a bit dicier and requires a bit of fault tracing.

I have a very good Helms manual on Lincoln EATC (I’ve got an EATC Lincoln also) but I’m currently on the road out of state and don’t have access to it. It will be the end of next week before I’m back home.
If you don’t get it figured out by then you might post back and we’ll see if we can get through this on-line or by email. Hope that helps.

(That Helms manual has about 4 nightmarish pages of electrical snarl devoted to the EATC so the problem could get a bit involved. That’s why it’s easier to test the blower plug first.)

Note that while the blower motor is kind of behind the glove box, it is on the other side of the firewall accessed under the hood. Look for a cylinder mounted to a plastic plenum. IIRC, there are two electrical connectors located right above it. There are 4 screws holding it in. Be sure to be careful of a rubber tube connecting the motor to the plenum below the motor. Don’t lose it and don’t forget to reconnect it.

As advised check the connector and look for burning. The connector to the speed controller is actually more vulnerable. You can find pics that might make it easier to find it here:

http://www.p71interceptor.com/eatcswap/