Keep it coming Folks.,

Yeah, they were beefed up a little for 81 but still not much good. Head gaskets, $300 starter, $600 pump, etc. but could still drive from Minneapolis to KC or Chicago on one tank.

Toyota has been selling front wheel drive based hybrid SUVs with electric rear drive for ten years. The Highlander Hybrid AWD is "starting at $47,750" and rated at 28 MPG highway.

I think the Highlander drive train is, in function, the same as all Toyota’s Synergy Drive systems, i.e., no separate electric motors for the rear wheels.

When equipped with awd there is and electric rear transaxle, no driveshaft. The same for Lexus RX400h and RX450h.

Well, I’ll be dipped. Thanks, Nevada.

It must take some degree of engineering to synchronize the front with the back. There is a software update on the older AWDs to cure a mild bucking effect when driving @45 MPH.

I don’t believe they can sell a pickup truck with this type of equipment to a cowboy.

^You could have four hub motors that could each put down exactly as much torque as each wheel could accept offroad. That would have to make it the most capable 4X4 setup imaginable. You also wouldn’t necessarily be limited to not using it on paved surfaces like traditional 4X4.

Thanks Nevada,they are on the right track then,I have a friend who has an electric ATV,WHISPER QUIET,you can select,1 WD,2WD or 4wd on it,He has had it for quite a while and has no problem keeping it charged up,He sez the best part,no oil changes and He has never carried a gal of gas to put in it.'
So a Hybrid truck would be capable of 30 mpg,plus all that torque from the electric motors,wow I am impressed.
EZ GO makes a hybrid golf cart with a 160 mile range

Wow,I checked it out,weighs about the same as my Dodge Dakota,can seat seat up to 8 people and gets about 8 mpg better on the highway,then my current vehicle(and beings its a Toyota,I bet the reliability is a bit better.
Problem is I cant afford it.So the truth is out there.

Yes, Kevin, it’s time to get the larger truck. Increased functionality and much better fuel mileage. You can even get the crew cab and beat the old Dakota’s mileage big time.

sounds good

Bing, when I say beefed up, I meant the internal block structure. Thicker cylinder walls, beefed up oil system, and beefed up main bearing webs, and a forged crankshaft. They make a great starting point for high perf Olds 350. I’d love to buy one for my cars, but they’ve become pricey over the years as Olds enthusiasts have discovered their virtues.

That Chevy pickup fiasco dried up the 350s and 403s around here back in the day,I was wondering would the olds 330 work?

Hey @Nevada,thanks-I love it(wish I could retrofit to some of these guzzling slugs)-Kevin

meanjoe75fan

^You could have four hub motors that could each put down exactly as much torque as each wheel could accept offroad. That would have to make it the most capable 4X4 setup imaginable. You also wouldn’t necessarily be limited to not using it on paved surfaces like traditional 4X4.

I think having traction motors in the hubs would result in an unacceptable amount of unsprung weight in a modern car. Better to have the motors inboard connected to the wheels with drive shafts, the way Tesla does it.
Do you really want wheels that weigh 100-200 pounds each?
Hub motors might be acceptable in diesel-electric earth moving machinery and bicycles that don’t have suspension anyway but I don’t think we’ll see this in cars.

You have a point @BLE,but sometimes the handling isnt that big an issue.especially on something thats speed restricted or has a special suspension.

Did you buy that Ram 1500 diesel yet, Kevin?

No I havent,but dont think I havent been thinking about it,some people say you have to take them back to the dealer on a monthly basis,anything to that?
Actually my fortunes have taken a change for the worse,but know ye this a Little diesel blue at oil changes,is not a deal breaker for me,30 + mpg and 7 league boots over the 9-10% grade ridges,whats not to like?

Except for the drive train, it should be a RAM 1500. As for the drive train, it is too new to have reliability reported. The JD Power initial quality rating is 2 out of 5 in all categories, and that is below average. You might expect to take it back, but I think on a monthly basis is overblown. Since this is initial quality, it is more related to assembly issues than reliability.

Thanks JT.