Is Your Vehicle Above Average?

Asemaster, on that bad a/c compressor, I wonder if you took it first to a truck compressor shop to see if they could fix it, or if you had to buy one? A year ago, my Sienna a/c stopped cooling. I took it to the truck compressor shop west of Mission, and they found bad compressor seals. Total cost, working perfectly, was around $170. I realize that is a grand total of a sample of one, but I have felt compelled to pass it on just in case.

Triedaq, around 1962 I bought an old 1936 Chevrolet. It would not do today, but I loved that old car. It had the most comfortable seats of any car to date. Basically, it had personality. But, it wouldnā€™t start very well, so I sold it and got a newer Chevrolet.

My current car is 2002 Sienna, bought 2001 right after the NYC disaster. 14 years.

Cars in our family mostly have been driven far above average in years and miles.

1956 Olds 88 : 17 yrs / 189k
1965 Olds 98 : 17 yrs / 198k
1973 Corolla : 16 yrs / 162k
1983 Olds 88 : 25 yrs / 243k
1987 Olds Ciera : still in use (nephew) well over 240k several years ago and climbing
2007 Impala : 7 yrs / 54k
2014 Camry : in use / 11.6k

My brothers get similar years / miles use from their cars.

Last week at the gas station there was an aged open topped Jeep parked with the hood up letting the engine cool. First carb engine Iā€™ve seen since our 1983 Olds left the family. The engine was quite small with generous open engine bay space compared to contemporary vehicles.

Sorry about the lack of formatting. I did create the above post properly separated by line and paragraph spacing. Sigh.