Is It Possible Stricter Environmental Regulations May Bring Back "Old" And "Outdated" Technology Back To The Forefront

I am a mid 1952 model. I grew up with leaded gasoline, leaded edible paint, bovine fart methane, asbestos, and pesticides as a major food group. I have also smoked cigarettes for 48 years. I have obviously survived. My favorite example is the orthopedic surgeon who evaluated my knee pain. He was a skinny, granola crunching marathon runner who recommended my losing 15 pounds would help. Less than a year later he dropped dead from a heart attack! I rest my case. Regarding copper I forgot that I used to occasionally suck on a penny!

3 Likes

Remember running guru Jim FIxx? Keeled over at 52 years old
 while running!
And Keith Richards is still alive and well.

Life, No one gets out alive!

1 Like

Strangely my 1960 Rambler Custom’s brakes were the opposite. If I drove through a puddle they would grab. When I dried them they would be normal???

Yes. 14 inch skinny, crappy tires on full size sedans!

I have experienced the Mexican speed bumps. Pavement gouges and oil stains.!

Yep! And, on asphalt highways, potholes just past the speed bumps where the trucks hit bottom. It is 52 miles from my house to a certain warehouse store in a big city. In the country, mind you, there are an average of 1 speed bump per mile! I counted them once, each time I slowed down for a bump, I made an x on the kleenex box and counted them when I got there. It is hard to make good time with that many speed bumps.

As Sarge pointed out,we all cannot be 130 # vegan bike motors,the one thing that surprised me about cardiac events was that I was told most of the time the heart attack occurs after the exertion.When I was a young whelp ,there was little I wouldnt put in my mouth to taste,watched one of my brothers swallow a large steel ball bearing one evening(down the hatch,like Stanley Bemishes "power pill "
The point is moderation in all things,if you really get down on yourself,just go to Walmart and watch some of the poor patrons cruising through there,I might buy a lot of my motor oil from walmart ,but I dont think that they promote that much healthy food .Above all avoid stress ,stress will age your system quickly.Read about the "Blue zones " if you want an understanding of what really promotes a long happy life ,there is no magic bullet ,its just a combo of commonsense and being realistic,if both of your parents died young ,then perhaps one should be more careful,I dont think that the 120 year lifespan is actually that realistic for the balance of the human race.I have some older parents and freinds ,I just dont think Statin drugs gave them a long span and yes some of them still drive,So to be realistic go to the bible and read what it says on this subject and take a stroll through the neighborhood cemetery and do a little averaging,it will hit you "each day is a gift and precious "

irlandes,they actually have speed bumps in the highway down there ? Seems extreme,but I guess somebody must have thought it was a good idea,I can see the need in residential areas ,but dont cotton to the idea on the highway .

I had a 1963 Ford galaxy 406 cu in 405 hp with finned aluminum drum brakes. They were not standard. The only reference I have found is when the 427 cu in galaxies used them to kick the Jaguars a**s’s at Silverstone UK in saloon racing circa late 1963. I was worried that brake shoes were un-obtainable but they used the heavy duty truck shoes. I ended up having no problems with brakes. The previous owner was a Winston West NASCAR driver which could explain the non-standard (experimental) brakes and other things like a Ford experimental camshaft.

The speed bumps are on the highway before entering a city. I am only guessing speed signs don’t work. Today I was at a stop sign turning left when an idiot came around the blind curve from my left at about 60mph in a 25mph speed zone!!! It was not the first time.

It’s not Kansas Toto! When in foreign lands don’t expect things (motor vehicle, pedestrian, bicycle) to be anywhere close to the same as here!

Yeah we were remembering the old days when they started spraying the town for mosquitoes. They’d pull a trailer with a Jeep and spray both sides of the street. It was a big big sprayer that would spray your whole yard pretty much. Lots of times we’d be in the yard and get sprayed too along with the little critters. I don’t know what it was but didn’t smell too bad so maybe it wasn’t Malathion. Not sure if they had it then. At any rate it sure helped keep the bug population down and didn’t seem to hurt most of us. Heaven forbid if anyone sprays now unless it is a public health emergency.

As I said, it was one speed bump per mile average, though that number involved several any time coming to an important intersection or entrance to a town or business area. They put them any place where they really need people to slow down.

For example, there are some major chicken ranches half an hour from my house. So, they need agricultural inspection stations (Newcastle, etc) on both sides of each ranch. Each inspection station will have two speed bumps, one on each side.

Due to speed bumps and other things, it is hard to average over 25 miles per hour except on high speed toll ways. And, that 52 miles I mentioned, the speed limit over most if was 60 kph, around 38 mph.

High speed tollways do not normally have speed bumps. A couple places they put vibrators, like little round things sticking up on major down hill slopes. But, not speed bumps on the tollways otherwise. Well, they put something at the toll booths, I forgot that.

The rule of thumb is they put them wherever they really need people to slow down. Many years ago, a cousin told me they tend to put them where a pedestrian has been killed.

He showed me one in a small town not far from Cordoba. That sucker was more like a small mountain than a speed bump. He said four kids were killed by a driver, so they built an extremely large thing. Maybe 18 or 24 inches high and maybe 8 feet long. I did not have my camera with me, alas.

[irlandes] irlandes http://community.cartalk.com/users/irlandes
August 12

As I said, it was one speed bump per mile average, though that number
involved several any time coming to an important intersection or
entrance to a town or business area. They put them any place where
they really need people to slow down.

For example, there are some major chicken ranches half an hour from my
house. So, they need agricultural inspection stations (Newcastle, etc)
on both sides of each ranch. Each inspection station will have two
speed bumps, one on each side.

Due to speed bumps and other things, it is hard to average over 25
miles per hour except on high speed toll ways. And, that 52 miles I
mentioned, the speed limit over most if was 60 kph, around 38 mph.

High speed tollways do not normally have speed bumps. A couple places
they put vibrators, like little round things sticking up on major down
hill slopes. But, not speed bumps on the tollways otherwise. Well,
they put something at the toll booths, I forgot that.

The rule of thumb is they put them wherever they really need people to
slow down. Many years ago, a cousin told me they tend to put them
where a pedestrian has been killed.

He showed me one in a small town not far from Cordoba. That sucker was
more like a small mountain than a speed bump. He said four kids were
killed by a driver, so they built an extremely large thing. Maybe 18
or 24 inches high and maybe 8 feet long. I did not have my camera with
me, alas.

Visit Topic
http://community.cartalk.com/t/is-it-possible-stricter-environmental-regulations-may-bring-back-old-and-outdated-technology-back-to-the-forefront/94389/53
or reply to this email to respond.

In Reply To. Can you imagine the hue and car in America ,if
    something like this was iplemented,why ,it would slow the
    busybodies down a bit.The one thing I look askance on is this
    ,the highway death monuments,why would anybody want to
    continuallsy be reminded of the death of a loved one (I would
    want a break once and in awhile) I found out you had to pay to
    have these things installed ,I dont know if there is a yearly
    fee or not ,I know I wouldnt buy one. Most people will ignore
    them anyway.

[kmccune] kmccune http://community.cartalk.com/users/kmccune
August 11

irlandes,they actually have speed bumps in the highway down there ?
Seems extreme,but I guess somebody must have thought it was a good
idea,I can see the need in residential areas ,but dont cotton to the
idea on the highway .

Visit Topic
http://community.cartalk.com/t/is-it-possible-stricter-environmental-regulations-may-bring-back-old-and-outdated-technology-back-to-the-forefront/94389/53
or reply to this email to respond.

To unsubscribe from these emails, click here
http://community.cartalk.com/email/unsubscribe/a83fa47fd82dd429c0e0dc725df973864d11929802ad081eca82eb650b54842b.

Most cities around here spray yearly.

I did not know they had to pay, not being involved with one. Death monument, I assume he refers to the small ‘chapels’ they put along the highway where someone has been killed. Well, they are Catholic. Catholic’s believe that after a person dies there is a place called Purgatory where you go if you weren’t good enough to go directly to Heaven, but not bad enough to spend all eternity in Purgatory.

I think this came from THE DIVINE COMEDY, a poem by Dante hundreds of years ago. I will just leave it at that, that they think you can affect the future of the dead. We protestants think once you’re dead, that’s it.

Well, Mexico is at least 90% Catholic, so the chapels for the dead along the highways.

Sorry to bring religion into it,I am well aware this is a car forum, not a religion forum, but if you drive in Mexico, those little chapels are part of the driving experience, and that is why they are there.

In my county it is pretty much year 'round
 but it is Florida. They don’t blanket spray everything, just the breeding grounds. We have a mosquito air-force with 2 DC-3’s converted to turbo-props and a half dozen Vietnam era Hueys and a few Bell Jet Rangers.

Que Wagners Walkure

When I was a kid you would see these little signs posted where there was a death on the road. I don’t know if it was the highway dept or not that did it. South Dakota still did it at least a few years ago. Now though, relatives like to decorate the area with wooden crosses, flowers, teddy bears, and what not. It actually looks pretty tacky and while I understand their grief, it is public property and I’d like to see the effort go into prevention rather than public wailing. At any rate it got so bad with all this stuff in the ditches that now the DOT in Minnesota will allow it for a one year period, then clean up the ditch, so it can be mowed and its not a distraction to drivers. Maybe it is the immigrant influence that started all this ditch decorations.

My post disappeared before I was finished ,(hope I get another windows update in the next couple of days) too much pontification.I suppose .
@Irlandes ,I was referring to the death signs in VA .IMO ,VA ,has too many road signs,the signs I rely on are the speed limit and street and road name signs

This is a nice older educational film I like to watch that is interesting and describes many of the merits of a braking system that is shielded from the elements.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=JS4ODWG7Els

Maybe drum brakes were adequate, maybe they were not, but I think we can all agree while disc brakes have been around a long time, maybe its time to explore new brake technologies. Why not a drum/disc hybrid with pads inside a drum instead of shoes?

Lets remember when drum brakes first came out they were an engineering marvel and many people probably felt it would be foolish to ever attempt to make a better braking system than drum brakes.

This discussion has been the catalyst for many great stories, opinions and well spoken debate as well as some good reminiscing. This is great folks.