Installing alternator in 82 CJ7?

This catalog

http://www.lestercatalog.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=PIC-208

would be in most large scale rebuilder’s shops. With the information available there a correct alternator can be found. Of course, such a shop would likely have some old geezer who could quickly zero in on an alternator that would work.

LOL @ “just everyone else’s parts”… I’m finding that out with this Jeep I recently bought from a friend, whom knows nothing about cars or how to drive them. He’s just 1 of A Few people who have owned this Jeep & I’m slowly finding out more & more about what has been changed on it, the hard way. Thanks for the info. I’m sure that website/book will be a big help. : )

For many years the Jeeps were like those Forrest Gump chocolates. But for those of us familiar with the origins of all the mixed pieces they were quite simple to repair. The CJ-7s of the 70s were very tough and forgiving when used as intended. And the M38A1s were outstanding when operated as intended. I have driven them with water over the seats. Now the Jeeps are becoming quite dandified.

A trip to a salvage yard to collect a coffee can full of spacers, washers and bolts used to mount alternators might be time well spent…

Also, place an add on Craigslist asking to look at and photograph the Jeep model you are trying to duplicate…People will help if approached correctly…

Good Idea, thanks. Now we are able to mount this alternator with the one bracket, but not the other. But the Serpentine belt is too big. Getting a smaller one now. The reason the alternator is being replaced??? is the belt was shredded & alternator was pulled forward & the belt tensioner was really loud. Bad bearings? Anyway, not sure that the alternator really needed to be replaced, don’t think (my son) had it tested when he brought it in. Yes, I’ve been trying to help my son (19 yrs. old) with his Jeep. (I’m Mom, & not afraid to get my hands dirty)… I told him in the future, take a picture of what your going to work on, before you take it apart, that way he can remember how it was. And… incase someone else ends up having to put it back together… :slight_smile: He just got back with the belt & now its too short… :frowning:

Well here’s my son’s pick up, he fell asleep. Bummer… And his CJ7 that we are trying to get running again. :slight_smile: It’s part of growing & learning…