How to catch someone letting air out of your tires

Some are metal and some are rubber. I have a set of each. So far only had to replace two sensors but at $80 a piece out the door. I expect two more batteries to fade any day now, though.

Speaking of repair or throw-away culture, I remember going to a GM dealer and buying new turn signal cancel springs that often failed after ten years or so. They were 50 cents each versus a new turn signal switch. 'Spose though after pulling the steering wheel to get to it, replacing the whole switch has some merit. Then again when you are broke, saving $15 on a car repair is reasonably significant.

Youā€™re right. Iā€™ve never had rubber stems but I see now they exist. They also make service kits for those and they are also under $5 but since most donā€™t diy them, probably get charged double that.

I usually roll the dice on proactive replacement of sensors. Havenā€™t had one fail yet. My oldest are 12 years old now in my Trailblazer that I drive dailyā€¦hope I havenā€™t jinxed myself.

A lot of stuff can still be fixed v replaced but itā€™s often not financially viable due to labor costs if youā€™re paying someone to do it. For example, the $100 in labor time more than offsets the cost difference in partsā€¦

They donā€™t replace the valve stem, but they do replace the valve inside the stem every time I get new tires.