How much gasoline is used if I idle my car with the air-conditioning on vs. air-conditioning off?

I go away for awhile because school started and whats the first thing I see? ZombieWolf up to the same old stuff.

Good for you. That diploma will come in handy one day. Still waiting for someone to ask the OP about “make, model, year” otherwise talking about “how much” is pointless.

I’m very familiar with the hot humid summers in Houston. Spent 2 years in school there in the late 70’s, driving a 1968 Coronet with a/c that didn’t work! Not fun or pleasant at all! I wouldn’t want to do it again, but my point is that before a/c people did it all the time. It’s one of those comforts we have become accustomed to.

Nobody is going to ask for make, model, year, etc. because the original question is about multiple makes and models of various model years. You must have this thread confused with another discussion about a specific car.

The OP mentioned specific numbers

“I’ve found a lot of data supporting that every gallon of fuel that is burned produces about 20 pounds of CO2, and even some that says we use about 0.026 gallons of gasoline for every 10 minutes of idling”

therefore the standard CarTalk questions about “make, model, and year” are relevant. I’m not confused. Help our children by asking these questions.

In the Deep South air conditioning is more than just a convenience. Extreme heat is dangerous to your health. Heat waves kill people in regions where air conditioning isn’t the norm. If you are healthy, and you are used to the heat, it isn’t a big deal, but you would be surprised how few people fall into that category.

I recently made the decision not to get the A/C fixed in my car, and I live in Florida. Fortunately, since I ride a motorcycle most of the time, and I am relatively healthy, it isn’t such a big deal. However, on a recent road trip with a passenger, I realized how hard it can be on someone who isn’t used to the heat.

Actually, there are a lot of people in this world who could have adverse effects to their health in such conditions, inside or outside the car, and you might not be able to spot these health conditions as you judge the behavior of these people without knowing the facts.

I hate it when nosy judgmental do-gooders give the rest of us liberals a bad name. You drive your car your way, and let the rest of us use our cars as we see fit. Please, for the sake of the rest of us liberals, pretend you’re a moderate who is capable of minding her or his own business.