How do I check tranny fluid in 98 cavalier

I have a 1998 Z24 Chevy Cavalier with a 4-speed automatic transmission fluid. The car has 183,000 miles on it and lately when the tranny is warmed up it takes about 3 seconds for the tranny to engage when switching from reverse to forward. I went to check the tranny fluid, but there is no dipstick. There is just a threaded cap. How do I know if I need to put some tranny fluid in and how much. How do I measure it with no dipstick?? There is no visible major leak that i am able to see, but you never know. THANKS

cardud, underneath on the side of the trans there is a fluid level screw. Unscrew that and see if any fluid comes out,if not then add at the top at the red treaded cap. These are sealed units that GM made but that is how you check it. I would know I have a 1995 cav Z24… ? When was the last time you changed your fluid,dropping the pan & filter.

Greg

Thanks for the info Greg. I saw the red threaded cap and took that off and then looked in it with a flashlight but could not see any fluid at all. But, I did not know about the fluid level screw. I have no idea when fluid was ever changed. Was given car by my brother at 171,000. He did not show much love to this vehicle. I am amazed that it was soo forgiving and is still running.

By the way, what happens if I just pour a little in at the top and it over fills? ( in case I can’t find or remove the fluid level screw )

cardud, do not just poor a little in do it the proper way. If you have to, spray some pb blaster or some lubricant on the screw to loosen. Transmissions are sensitive and tempermental to fluid levels that are too low or high. I am including a picture for you to see location.

Greg…

Understood… THANKS

You are welcome. Any further questions on your 98 Z24 feel free to ask here on car talk.