Head gasket? Or what? Lots of white smoke

There's a perception that jacking a vehicle up, putting big tires on, and hacking the exhaust system will increase the value. It works exactly the opposite. Potential buyers take one look and say "I'm not touching that thing". Any that decide to take the risk will want a very, very steep discount.

I’ve seen it many times. These guys buy an SUV or pickup…and spend THOUSANDS putting a new suspension and tires and exhaust. Then they get real pissed when someone will pay more for a stock vehicle then theirs. One guy in the 4runner forum was calling people stupid because they didn’t want to pay his price. They just don’t get it…and never will.

Even these people who put a $5,000 stereo system in the vehicle…it’ll DECREASE the value.

Potential buyers take one look and say “I’m not touching that thing”.

I agree, as long as you insert the word “smart” before the word “potential”.

I was mildly shocked a few months ago when my neighbor’s 17 year old son bought a highly modified Mustang that was about 7 years old. In addition to the usual boy-racer mods, the previous owner had added “Lambo” style doors that opened upward at an angle. The major reason why he quickly got rid of that bomb was a transmission leak, but there were several other major issues with that car.

He replaced the Mustang with an older Jeep that had been lifted and modified in other ways.
It took him about a month before he realized that this one was also a money pit.

Just the appearance of both of those vehicles should have been a tip-off that the vehicles had not led an easy life with their prior owner(s), and while I can sort of understand an adolescent not comprehending that situation, I can’t figure out why an adult (like his father) wouldn’t be aware of these red flags.

Finally, he bought a normal-looking used Dodge Ram pickup, and I think that–finally–he found a winner for himself.

LOL, that must have been funny to listen to. The “stupid” ones know how these alterations affect resale value. The “stupid” ones are the smart ones, the guy with the 4Runner is the one who needs an education.

Kids. What are ya gonna do?

The way I look at it, they’re called customizations for a reason – they’re done to the specific tastes of the current owner and very few, if any, potential future purchasers will have those same exact tastes or will place the same value on them. And that’s assuming the modifications are done well in the first place. That’s why when I replaced the head unit on my old Jeep (it lacked an aux port), I saved the original to reinstall if I ever sold it.

VDC, it’s all part of growing up. In the bigger scheme of things, a bad car purchase is pretty minor. A bad marriage is the one to fear… {:stuck_out_tongue:

^
Oh, I definitely agree.
The part of the situation that I had a hard time figuring out is that the kid in question is a really good kid, and is one who is very closely bonded with his father.
Both of those…unwise…purchases just seemed to be very much out-of-character for both the kid and the father, who is a very sensible person.

The most sensible 17 year old boy in the world will often have his head turned by exotic-looking cars.

My dad tried to get me to buy this old poop-brown station wagon for my first car when I was still a teen, but I wanted a little sporty car. I got the sporty car, and holy hell did I have problems with it. The wagon would have been a much more reasonable purchase.

But I didn’t regret it. Sometimes when you’re obsessed with cars, a pain in the butt that you love is better than a totally reliable car that you don’t.

Oh Jeez does this have the plastic manifold? Im screwing my years up again… Otherwise Agreed

Blackbird

Bar’s Leak is not a fix for a blown head gasket as “blown” generally denotes a combustion chamber breach. It may fix a head gasket that is weeping or leaking coolant that does not involve a combustion chamber breach.

I have to wonder if the person who ended up with the BarMW was told of this…

If not, the terms “poetic justice” and “No honor among thieves” come to mind.

Based on the pics that Tahoe is not worth what has been invested in it IMO.

What comes around goes around

:naughty:

Now car won’t start. I have everything hooked back up. I checked for spark and it’s there. Fuel is there too, along with starting fluid I’ve been spraying in. I’ve tried everything. Also now I remember forgetting to diconnect battery and after I took my alternator off I remember accidentally arcing it to the ground.

I need help…

Check all the fuses and fusible links

Your truck has 2 fuse boxes . . . one underhood and one in the passenger compartment

you have an owner’s manual, yes?

I agree with checking all fuses and fusible links. If you have spark and fuel pressure then you need to make sure the fuel injectors are pulsing. That can be done with a Noid Light or by using a stethoscope to listen to them as the engine is cranked over.

With any luck maybe the alternator arcing did no more harm than popping a fuse related to the ECM and injectors, etc.

So if I have spark at plugs (which I do) or atleast at the one I tried and I feel like all of them have spark, doesn’t this eliminate a blow fuse or fusible link?

I am at a complete loss. Everything is hooked up correctly. I keep spraying starting fluid into the throttle body. I checked the spark plugs for spark. And now my battery is dead from trying to crank it… Guess I’ll let it charge and then call a tow truck tomorrow and get it towed to a shop where I’m sure it’ll cost and arm and a leg…

Did you checks fuses and fusible link as suggested? Spark does not eliminate blown fuses.

I need help..

Yep. and that’s all I’m saying after the I traded a clunker for another clunker story.

Is this Tahoe the “Vortex” brand of GM engines? Ive had to replace more of those “Spyders” than I would like to mention…but this was on the V6 Vortex motors… the “fuel delivery Spyder” is a most common repair. Not sure about these V8’s but it should be similar. Many times when you unplug the fuel injection control module and re plug it back in…connections get made again and it will run. The connector is on the top of the engine toward the firewall I believe. There is a bolt that holds the plug into the connector. Might want to try that. This is another one of these things where you REALLY NEED A KNOWLEDGEABLE MECHANIC WITH YOU. Its impossible for me to type all the little things I will look for or notice or try in a rapid fire process. I will go thru about 10 different checks and tests in a matter of minutes sometimes. All unbeknownst to anyone standing nearby. But I have been playing with this stuff almost my entire life…so Im not the average Bear so to speak.

That being said…you gots more issues than we can throw wrenches or theories at brother man!

If we were all standing around your Tahoe being the mechanics that we are…we would know what is essentially wrong with that truck in a Jiffy. To ask us to tell you what it is from the internet is difficult at best.

This thing sounds like a NIGHTMARE BROTHER. I ASSUME YOU are on your own with the purchase of this thing and the prior owner is LONG GONE???

If you do NOT know engines or cars…you MUST bring someone who knows these things with you when you are looking to purchase a vehicle. I can pretty much guarantee that if you took almost any one of us guys with you on this purchase ride…We would’ve told you to pass on this truck.

Im sorry you are going thru this…its never pleasant or pretty.

Blackbird

:yum: