Frozen windshield - deicing with hot water

Use a plastic scraper, then. They work, and they’ve got almost no chance of scratching the glass.

Also, in some conditions you’ll be waiting a LONG time for the defroster to clear the windshield. A defroster is for just that…frost. (and even then a scraper is faster)

Actually the main thing they’re for is keeping the inside free of condensation. But they work for frost.

You could cover the windshield so the ice doesn’t form on the windshield. Check out these this link.

I remember quite a few years ago, we got a freezing rain in the afternoon, followed by a sharp drop in temperature. The cars had perhaps a half inch of ice all over them. It took a lot of work just to get in the thing. Those who tried to scrape soon gave up. It was like an hour before some people were able to drive off.

Most just had to sit in the car and wait for it to warm up enough to melt the ice at the windshield, so it would loosen its grip. Sheets of ice were coming off once they started to melt.

And, yes, a piece of cardboard or old military shelter half tied over the windshield, if you know it’s going to ice, can reduce the work considerably. In the case mentioned, the rain came in the afternoon, and not everyone could sneak out to their cars.

Hahaha…isn’t it great how all the bad ideas on this forum are bad in SO MANY different ways?

I tried to use warm tap water a few times. It worked great. I got the advice from a colleague who said it’s perfectly fine. I don’t know why I listened to him and not my father. My colleague was from India, and my father is from Boston.

I got away with it, but I’m not taking any more chances.

Now my questions:

1. Would an old bed sheet work just as well? It sounds less sloppy than cardboard.
  2. What’s the best way to attach it?

BTW, if you have rear-wheel drive, order one from Amazon. With all the junk mail and catalogs you’ll get, you can weigh down the rear end of a Cadillac.