Excessive oil consumption on 2007 Jeep Wrangler

I have a 2007 Jeep Wrangler X with a 3.8L V6 engine with 33,500 miles.

The vehicle is burning a quart to two quarts of oil every 1000 miles. The dealer did a ?consumption test? i.e. looked at the dip stick, then checked again after a 1000 miles. When they checked again, they said it was about a quart low, but Chrysler says that is normal and won?t investigate it or recommend any repairs. When I checked the dip stick, it was at least a quart and a half low.

My mechanic says this is crazy for a fairly new vehicle to be burning this much oil. He also stated that is destroying the catalytic converter. How can I get Chrysler to fix this problem?

I agree with your mechanic. It’s way too much oil to be burning at 1,000 miles. Gather all your receipts and contact the zone manager for Chrysler. That’s one of the first steps you have to take if you think you have a lemon.

I too agree with your mechanic. And it’ll probably destroy your ozygen sensor as well.

The big problem is that most manufacurers today officially consider 1 quart every 1,000 miles to be acceptable. Check your owners’ manal and see of they reference an acceptable amount of oil usage.

Unfortunately, other than perhaps bringing the vehicle back to them every 1,000 miles and closely documenting the checks and the actual oil usage (using shopp orders would be a great way to do this), to follow up with the zone manager, there’s no way to directly “measure” oil usage.

It’s often stated that a quart per 1000 miles is normal but I don’t agree with that at all.
If oil is being burned it can only diappear in one of two places, or both. Valve seals and/or piston rings.

What should be done is to have a leakdown test performed. While this is the best method for checking piston ring condition it’s also not infallible. If a problem exists with the oil wiper ring, or rings, the test may show the rings as fine but a stuck wiper ring on even on piston could cause this much oil consumption.

There is no test for valve seals. That’s a replace and hope thing.

Your mechanic is also correct because oil that is burnt in the cylinders will wind up caking in the converter.
You might consider sending a letter to Chrysler about this and express your concern about polluting the environment due to high HCs also and that the EPA might even receive a complaint from you about this. A hint of a complaint to the Feds might help push the issue.

When I first bought my car it was using about that much oil every 1000 - 1500 mi. So a friend of mine pulled the PCV valve, found it to be not functioning correctly, and it was replaced for approx. $4.00

If you pull it with it still attached to the hose you should be able to shake it and hear the little check valve ball rattling around.

It was about as easy as replacing a light bulb and I have had no oil consumption issues with the car ever since.

You may give it a try, worst case scenario you’re out $4 but it will still be one less thing to worry about in the future.

What do you have to lose ?

Didn’t I hear somewhere that Chrysler and GM had both filed for bankruptcy? Consumers act like that never happened. But it happened. You are SOL…Sending letters to Chrysler is like sending them to Mars…

I filed complaints with the CA state consumer affairs office, the CA DMV, the NHTSA (who closed the case within minutes of reading the compliant), and the FTC. So far I have heard nothing. I am continuing write Chrysler.

Is there anything else I can do or am I stuck with a lemon?

You’ve done about all that can be done, short of contacting the EPA, and complaints are often a long shot anyway.
There’s a lot of politics behind car problems unfortunately.

Question though. Was this vehicle purchased brand new (as in 4 or 5 miles on it) or was it a dealer demo? (100 miles give or take)
Sometimes an improper break-in period can cause harm to the engine. While this would not be a problem on a new car, on a demo it could because sometimes a demo in the hands of the wrong person may get a real thrashing.

I got it with 3 miles on it. The dealer did get the factory to agree to a meeting, but nothing is scheduled. I’m thinking if the rep wanted to fix it, he would have told the dealer just to do it.

Any thoughts on handling the Rep?

Mr. Obvious, Here. The Jeep Has Been Thoroughly Checked For Leaks, Right ? Do You Park On Dirt ?

Rick, The reason I ask is that a TSB (Technical Service Bulletin) published for Jeep technicians addresses excessive oil consumption in specifically 2007 - 2008 Jeep Wranglers with the 3.8L engine (sales code EGT) and built before September 19, 2007. I believe 2007s are built approximately between Aug / 06 & Jul / 07.

This is more an oil “seepage” issue than burning problem caused by “front timing cover surface porosity” in the aluminum cover. They say the leak can appear to be oil leaking at the timing cover gasket leak, oil filter, unused oil adapter boss, oil pan, rear seal carrier, front crankshaft seal, but it’s likely the timing cover.

The fix is a new Engine Timing Cover Kit (includes gasket), kit #68003438AA, oil filter, 6 quarts of 5w20, and 2.8 hours labor.

CSA

Where is the PCV Vavle located on a 2007 Jeep Wrangler 3.8 V6

I have also been having oil consumption issues with a 2010 Wrangler Sahara. It now has 25K miles on it and uses approx. 2 quarts every 4K Miles. I purchased the Wrangler new and I know that all service has been performed on a regular basis. The local dealership performed an oil consumption test and I was told that all was normal because Chrysler considers 1 Qt. for every 1K miles normal. After spending 30K on this Wrangler, I have to say in my eyes this in in no way normal for a new vehicle. I have been in contact with Chrysler and they are not being very helpful. I am looking into filing some sort of legal matters with Chrysler in the near future. I have been doing research and have found other people are having similar issues. If anyone is interested in contacting me about this, please feel free to contact me at sb96899689@yahoo.com