Ethanol Content in Gasoline

If ethanol was removed tomorrow, it would be be very difficult to find 10% more gasoline overnight…We are talking millions of gallons a day here…We don’t have to import the ethanol…

Yugo, ethanol offers no cleaning advantage. What makes your fuel cleaner is increased refining standards and better practices by the oil companies. Yes, ethanol reduces our dependence on oil, but that is its only benefit.

I’ve often wondered how much oil based fuel is expended raising, transporting, and processing corn into ethanol. It has to be astronomical.

A fair amount of corn around here has generally been allowed to rot in the field, followed by plowing it under in the spring and repeating the process. Maybe there’s a change in the subsidy program because I’ve noticed this year for the first time that a number of those corn fields have switched back to wheat and for the first time, canola has been planted. Maybe the canola is to make up for corn being used elsewhere.

I do find it a bit ironic that the farmers who grow corn here for the most part do not want ethanol gasoline in their vehicles.

Not to mention that all that corn could be used to feed our stomachs rather than our cars

Priced meat at the supermarket? Ouch. It’s gone up a lot and part of that has to do with corn which is used in livestock feed.
About 10 years ago feeder cattle were going through the sale barn for 60-70 dollars per hundredweight and while I haven’t seen the prices in a while I think that it’s up the 120 and higher range now.

Caddyman April 14 If ethanol was removed tomorrow, it would be be very difficult to find 10% more gasoline overnight..We are talking millions of gallons a day here...We don't have to import the ethanol..

So where did all the gasoline that we replaced with ethanol go? Secret FEMA sites?

We’re not a net importer of ethanol, but we do import it, per gummint requirements. If Dear Leader could figure out how to import it from the Middle East we’d be doing that.

http://www.ft.com/intl/cms/s/0/5564f822-8252-11e1-9242-00144feab49a.html#axzz1s5sBZI00

http://www.eia.gov/dnav/pet/pet_move_imp_a_epooxe_im0_mbbl_m.htm

“So where did all the gasoline that we replaced with ethanol go? Secret FEMA sites?”

When ethanol was being phased in, the DEMAND for gasoline was growing…Nothing was “replaced”, the growing percentage of ethanol being used as fuel simply took the pressure off gasoline supplies.

Diesels can not extend their fuel with ethanol, so diesel fuel today costs considerably more than gasoline…

Today, it’s the exploding demand in China and India that is driving the petroleum market…

“…ethanol reduces our dependence on oil, but that is its only benefit.”

I disagree. It is the least expensive of the low polluting octane raising chemicals. Your ground water might be undrinkable if you could still get MTBE treated gasoline. I’m not excited about high ethanol content in gasoline either, but it does have its place.

Well, that assumes there was significant benefit to either MTBE or ethanol. The pollution benefits in today’s catalyst-equipped computer controlled cars is VERY small for either. So don’t use them, eliminate any government requirement, and if it’s a good ECONOMIC idea, let the market choose them.

MTBE was a great snake oil sales dumped on the American public. It did not make cars run cleaner or cause less pollution, and independent testing has proved it. It is a byproduct of the refining process and has to be disposed of as a hazardous material.

Alcohol in our gas does not extend our fuel supply because there is less energy per volume than the gasoline it replaces, and it requires more energy to produce than the end product contains. So we the public pay more for watered down gas. I used to buy real gasoline in Oklahoma went I traveled there and my gas milage always went up at least 10%.

Food should never be burned when people in the world are starving.

@texases, @Slobberdawg:

Neither of you seem to recognize the issue of what to put in the gas in place of ethanol to raise the octane.
So, we go back to tetraethyl lead?

The pollution is not the type that emanates from the tailpipe, but pollution of groundwater by leaking gasoline storage tanks in the ground at gas stations. That occurred around Baltimore, and I’m sure it happened many other places, too. The amount of MTBE in gasoline was never enough to cause any air pollution.

The MTBE was intended to lower air pollution, but caused the groundwater problems. Ethanol also can lower the combustion byproducts, but with cats, etc., the effect is minimal.

As for the need for octane improvement, I’m looking into how much is needed. But the simple solution is to allow its use at whatever % makes sense, not mandate an arbitrary 10%.

Just like anything else,when the gov’t starts micromanaging things,we the consumer suffers.We are actually burning the refinerys toxic waste anyway(gas) and paying them handsomely for the privilage.Alcohol makes sense sometimes and sometimes not-Kevin

The only real issue is what to do with all of that corn. Once farmers leveraged themselves to the hilt on corn equipment & supplies that blew yield through the roof, there was no choice for them but to overproduce. So the search for more and more markets has been ongoing. Its in pretty much everything you eat, and it goes in your gas tank.

Were would get the gas to replace the 10% of ETHANOL? Maybe here. http://www.usatoday.com/money/industries/energy/story/2011-12-31/united-states-export/52298812/1

MTBE, according to Wikipedia:

“In the US it has been used in gasoline at low levels since 1979 to replace tetraethyl lead and to increase its octane rating helping prevent engine knocking.”

When the oil companies had a surplus of raw material, they were OUTRAGED when the government gave 10% of THEIR market to the corn farmers…The oil companies attitude was "let them build their own gas stations if they want to sell ethanol…’

But when supplies got tight, they were GLAD to have the 10% cushion that ethanol provided…

Since the Oil Companies must IMPORT at least 50% of what they sell, their protests are weakened considerably…

In spite of corn being grown around here, few stations want to carry ethanol gasoline and that’s because few people want it. A fair number of stations do not even carry anything with a higher octane than 87 and others may only carry 87 and 89. Most proudly advertise “NO Ethanol” on the signs.

I run 87 all of the time even on 91 octane cars and have had zero problems over the years. While I can’t speak for every one else around here there’s never been a problem with octane caused engine damage that I’ve ever seen or heard of.

Caddyman April 15 When the oil companies had a surplus of raw material, they were OUTRAGED when the government gave 10% of THEIR market to the corn farmers...The oil companies attitude was "let them build their own gas stations if they want to sell ethanol...'

But when supplies got tight, they were GLAD to have the 10% cushion that ethanol provided…

Since the Oil Companies must IMPORT at least 50% of what they sell, their protests are weakened considerably…

Relevance, Your Honor? Iran imports ALL of its gasoline. They can refine uranium but not gasoline. Crazy world, i’n’it?

When did supplies get tight again? Was it in the news?

Even Al Gore admits ethanol is a bad idea, instituted solely for political benefit (on his watch). When Al Gore and Rush Limbaugh agree, it’s time to rethink your position.